Garden already played out

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Part of the garden is already played out. I tilled over the spinach, pulled the vines of the green beans and pulled onions and dug some very small taters. Part of it was heat, part chickens, part not being able to keep my husband out of the garden. Mostly the heat, I think.

I still have squash, eggplant, maters, peppers and okra. Those seem to do better in this weather.

Too late to plant watermellon?

Lammie":127t8kyt said:
Part of the garden is already played out. I tilled over the spinach, pulled the vines of the green beans and pulled onions and dug some very small taters. Part of it was heat, part chickens, part not being able to keep my husband out of the garden. Mostly the heat, I think.

I still have squash, eggplant, maters, peppers and okra. Those seem to do better in this weather.

Too late to plant watermellon?

I hope you got something out of it, my ducks have eaten off my corn, but I think if I can fence them out I might be able to salvage it. As for planting watermelon, it is certainly too late up here. I grow the short season stuff, and usually have a decent crop. There is nothing like fresh watermelon, or cantaloupe from the garden is there.

The tomatoes are just now coming along. I plan to put some of those away for winter. Squash is still going gansbusters and the okra is just now starting. I love frien okra and could eat it three meals a day.

I think that when I was growing up, most things ended up in the frying pan at one time or another. Must be a Southern thing.

I found a good recipe for Squash patties. You take a squash, cut it up and boil it until it is mushy, mash it and add

1 egg
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup corn meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 medium onion chopped up in the food processor

Mix it all up and fry it in dollops. My husband loved them. he even ate some for breakfast. I had been looking for things to do with squash. We have a lot.

Lammie":3qh966sw said:
I had been looking for things to do with squash. We have a lot.

Most folks appreciate squash as a surprise gift -- especially when you and the giftee don't know each other at all. Even better is when you can give it away without being seen, such as dropping a basketful into the bed of a truck at your work or church or kid's ballgame, or even just into random vehicles at the grocery store.. Anywhere really.. My personal favorite is to surprise the garbage collectors by "hiding" some garden-fresh yellow squash in our trash cans.. They haven't said anything, but I know they appreciated the massive, seemingly endless quantities of squash they recieved last summer.

If you run out of people to give it to, you can just do what I did and leave on the vines in the garden.. I figured it would go back into the soil and provide nutrients for next years plants, but as it turns out, it doesn't do that at all.. Oh, no.. No, it dries out and makes a rattle-can full of seeds, which you will then disk in come spring.. Before you know it, you've got even more yellow squash to give away than you did last year!

Ain't life just grand??? :D

Lammie":2vnt3nm2 said:

I'm thinking (just in case you didn't already know this) the first thing to do is to quit picking it because if you keep picking it, it will keep producing and your abundance problem is going to multiply many times over - been there, done that. :lol: :lol: :lol: I lost count of how many boxes of squash were stored in the basement the first time I planted the stuff. Too bad row crops can't be that prolific! :shock:

cmjust0":4phlly03 said:
Lammie":4phlly03 said:

Most folks appreciate squash as a surprise gift -- especially when you and the giftee don't know each other at all. Even better is when you can give it away without being seen, such as dropping a basketful into the bed of a truck at your work or church or kid's ballgame, or even just into random vehicles at the grocery store.. Anywhere really.. My personal favorite is to surprise the garbage collectors by "hiding" some garden-fresh yellow squash in our trash cans.. They haven't said anything, but I know they appreciated the massive, seemingly endless quantities of squash they recieved last summer.

If you run out of people to give it to, you can just do what I did and leave on the vines in the garden.. I figured it would go back into the soil and provide nutrients for next years plants, but as it turns out, it doesn't do that at all.. Oh, no.. No, it dries out and makes a rattle-can full of seeds, which you will then disk in come spring.. Before you know it, you've got even more yellow squash to give away than you did last year!

Ain't life just grand??? :D

Yes, I think that I have "suprised" all my neighbors, my kid's friends' parents, friends, strangers, passerby, even our tow truck driver, with squash. I think that I will start leaving it in trucks at the grocery store.

To make it worse, the eggplant have come in!

msscamp":1vyujs5s said:
Lammie":1vyujs5s said:

I'm thinking (just in case you didn't already know this) the first thing to do is to quit picking it because if you keep picking it, it will keep producing and your abundance problem is going to multiply many times over - been there, done that. :lol: :lol: :lol: I lost count of how many boxes of squash were stored in the basement the first time I planted the stuff. Too bad row crops can't be that prolific! :shock:

This is the first year we have had good squash in several years. ( I was in charge of the garden this year, and my motto is "hands off".) I hate to see it go to waste. All the time it is growing, everyone says how much they love squash and can't wait. Everyone wants some. What happened????

Lammie":32o0390l said:
msscamp":32o0390l said:
Lammie":32o0390l said:

This is the first year we have had good squash in several years. ( I was in charge of the garden this year, and my motto is "hands off".) I hate to see it go to waste. All the time it is growing, everyone says how much they love squash and can't wait. Everyone wants some. What happened????

I'm thinking it is probably an expectation thing - they were thinking one or two and you may have been thinking they were thinking more? Being presented with a box of squash is a little intimidating - even for the most avowed squash lover. The more years you plant it, the higher the incidence of the neighbors avoiding you come harvest time, and the less you will care if it goes to waste or not because you won't have to deal with it - trust me on this! :lol: :lol: :lol: No, I'm not laughing at you.

Yes, I think I will only plant two hills next year. Just enough for us and to make my friends' mouths water. No, you can't have any. 8)

Latest posts