Garden 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What are you putting in the ground this year? I haven't been thinking about gardening yet but Ohiosteve brought it up and he's right it's time for this thread. I am undecided on when to plant this year instead of what. I planted early last year and spring garden nor winter garden did much. I won't be planting this year till April or when almanac says. What say you all?

My overwintered parsnips are putting out some growth as are the carrots. The peas are just starting to sprout. I have what seems like a lifetime supply of onions and garlic going strong as last year we didn't have enough. The chickens are enjoying broccoli sprouts and cabbage :bang: . tomatoes and peppers are well under way in the greenhouse along with artichokes, eggplant and some more asparagus that I started from seed. Melons, cukes and squash just got planted this morning in the greenhouse. I wasn't happy with my potato varieties last year so I'm waiting for an order of new seed stock to get them put out. I was forbidden from planting more than five plants of any kind of winter squash this year since we still have an entire shelving unit full of it plus a freezer full of soup so that will wait until I can direct plant it outside and I fully intend to make sure I have some back up plants just in case one of my five dies. :D
I tried grafting tomatoes this year. It seems like the ones I was able to graft will take but the root variety was kind of fickle to germinate so it didn't match the varieties I planted at the same time to graft so I was only able to graft a few plants.

Won't plant the bulk of the garden till late April at the earliest, still will have possibility of frost this far north if you do it any sooner but onions and radishes will probably plant as soon as onions arrive at the local stores.

Don't have a huge garden but I plant in small quantity of green beans, 2 different tomato plants, 3 different types of peppers, cucumber, yellow squash, 2 different types of lettuce, and broccoli. My nearly 3 year old loves just about all of it especially broccoli. I've tried spinach and kohlrabi before, never had much luck with spinach as it takes up too much space to get the amount I want and my wife is the only one that likes kohlrabi and doesn't eat it enough for it to be worth planting. About to take radish out of the garden too as if I don't give some away they just go to waste because she is the only one that eats those too. Basically get more than I need to make fresh salsa, salads, and other sides out of all that that we've become some of our neighbors favorite people when I have to unload the excess produce we have ready.

Sowed some lettuce and covered it with canvas, and planted some peas about a couple weeks ago. Have some seed taters and onions, waiting to be planted when it dries up enough.

Got some of my seeds today

IMG_20170308_221925148_zpsxivh1srs.jpg

The sugar snap peas we planted in February are coming up. Today, we planted some Thomas Laxton peas, and got a start on planting some red potatoes. Tomorrow we are hoping to finish planting potatoes, onions, and some cabbage plants.

I don't know if I'll even plant a garden this year. Every afternoon I have between 12 - 15 deer standing near the garden spot. The buggers ate my broccoli and cabbage! I think I need a night vision scope for my rifle because I don't want to be accused of spotlighting. ;-)

We just built a 100ft X 60ft high fence and orachard and garden inside.

Got, 80 tomatoe plants, 80 chili pequin, 80 jalepeno plants, red potatoes, and prolly 80 squash plants, onions, asparagus, carrots..

Going to get grape vines going this year, got jasmin planted all along the front of the high fence to start growing up in vines all on the fence to make a green blooming wall of flowers too..

Jogeephus":14atjcfd said:
I don't know if I'll even plant a garden this year. Every afternoon I have between 12 - 15 deer standing near the garden spot. The buggers ate my broccoli and cabbage! I think I need a night vision scope for my rifle because I don't want to be accused of spotlighting. ;-)

Theres always a way around it and I know you will plant a garden Jo

skyhightree1":1dzsuqhj said:
Jogeephus":1dzsuqhj said:

Yeah. In my view there is Doe Day then there is Be Proud Its a Doe Day. Problem solved.

Jogeephus":2xmwdu1x said:
skyhightree1":2xmwdu1x said:
Jogeephus":2xmwdu1x said:

Yeah. In my view there is Doe Day then there is Be Proud Its a Doe Day. Problem solved.

:D

skyhightree1":hb6n7p71 said:
I just sprayed round up on my garden
I did that last week. Yesterday and today I'm strip tilling with a rototiller. That thing is painfully slow. Probably plant next week.

ga.prime":bmy25wnd said:
skyhightree1":bmy25wnd said:
I just sprayed round up on my garden
I did that last week. Yesterday and today I'm strip tilling with a rototiller. That thing is painfully slow. Probably plant next week.

I am shocked with mine its not killed it off yet but by weekend im going to disc it up

If you wait a few days after spraying, the roundup will will kill whatever it's going to kill regardless of what you do. Mine's been sprayed a week and the weeds have lost their vibrancy and are looking a little pale.

I'm getting my rows ready now so the rain we're supposed to be getting the next couple of days will settle the soil and give better traction when I plant it next week with a push planter. Also, good chance I'll get a flush of weeds sprouting within a week or ten days and I'll probably be able to hit them with roundup after I plant the garden but before the plants sprout.

ga.prime":2zbtqnf3 said:
If you wait a few days after spraying, the roundup will will kill whatever it's going to kill regardless of what you do. Mine's been sprayed a week and the weeds have lost their vibrancy and are looking a little pale.

I'm getting my rows ready now so the rain we're supposed to be getting the next couple of days will settle the soil and give better traction when I plant it next week with a push planter. Also, good chance I'll get a flush of weeds sprouting within a week or ten days and I'll probably be able to hit them with roundup after I plant the garden but before the plants sprout.

I will probably do the same

M-5":2zbtqnf3 said:
if yall need some nut grass ill ship you some

Thanks but NO THANKS

Few greens left in there I didn't spray the rabbits will get most they live greens and I may take some dice them up and fry them

IMG_20170406_072757833_zpsm7bxib7m.jpg

IMG_20170406_072822172_zpskff5rwsr.jpg

rabbits prefer collards

IMG_20170406_072734303_zpsdfrcvz5k.jpg

Spray looks like its working

IMG_20170406_072707431_zpslg54t3vl.jpg