GAR Xceptional

Help Support CattleToday:

Would you mind giving me some pointers on faults you see in this bull? Also may be you can give a quick evaluation on one of my Home Town bull calves, "Bar RC Home Town".

Attachments

• 3218A86A-4C5C-4280-8551-4552F7409958.jpeg
    3218A86A-4C5C-4280-8551-4552F7409958.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 7ED2D0F7-CD30-4CDA-98AE-B20255B512D7.jpeg
    7ED2D0F7-CD30-4CDA-98AE-B20255B512D7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Group:AWeigh Date:07/19/2021
Weight:672Adj Weight:727
Ratio:100Contemp Total:1
WDA:3.39Secondary:
Thanks for the encouraging words
Would you mind giving me some pointers on faults you see in this bull? Also may be you can give a quick evaluation on one of my Home Town bull calves, "Bar RC Home Town".
PBAngus,

I'm estimating here but 672 lbs at 198 days would get you a 205 adjusted weight of around 693 lbs. Just curious about the weaning weight ratio as compared to the dam's weight, just something that I like to track.
His numbers look really good with all of the $ value indexes in the top 35% of the breed.
Good WW and YW growth numbers, good Marb and REA with a minus back fat number...excellent! I would say that you have every reason to be happy with him. Please post more pictures of him as he grows.

J+ Cattle
Thanks for the encouraging words. I just had a new bull calf I want to keep an eye on - Born 9-6-21

Sire S A V America 8018 x

Dam S A V Blackcap May 8962 - a full sister to S A V Blackcap May 4136

Attachments

• CEFA97F3-0F8A-46A3-88EE-69BDEE3622A7.jpeg
    CEFA97F3-0F8A-46A3-88EE-69BDEE3622A7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • C302B675-834B-4DF0-BE2E-A0FF49F7F8DD.jpeg
    C302B675-834B-4DF0-BE2E-A0FF49F7F8DD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
I have a couple of upcoming daughters of this guy

Haven't used him yet, but I like a few weaning age daughters I have seen

A couple daughters (just 2 year olds now) are doing a nice job

Have a few heifer calves on the ground showing some promise by this old guy

Have bred cows for the second year to this grandson of Substantial and I like the heifer and bull calves a lot

And finally after a test run last year, I am looking forward to the daughters of this bull dropping calves in a couple years -- will be watching feet on them

Several of these are pretty young bulls, so I am proceeding with caution on them. I make a few mistakes as I go, but we can always eat the mistakes.

Quite a few of my current best cows are sired by a home-raised son of BC Lookout 6024. His mother was a granddaughter of EXT. That doesn't help much on looking for current AI sires, but they are rising to the top as they hit their prime even if they have a few faults. Also Redland Emblazon 2134 is the sire of some other top cows here. Unfortunately, 2134, like some other sires aren't available as AI sires by the time we figure out how good they were.

Another bull I like for a maternal AI sire is KCF Bennett Absolute. http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=2379 He is a little more proven and I like the Wulffs EXT 6106 on the maternal side.

SAV Resource is one I resisted using for several years, but a couple of 2-year olds are showing promise this year.

Hoover Dam is still available and has been a strong maternal sire.
SAV Resource does make really nice replacements they are slower maturing for sure I've done several

Caught one of my 2 Resource daughters bulling the other day. Looks like she is a one and done cow. Raised a nice calf, but doesn't make up for missing breeding season.

Caught one of my 2 Resource daughters bulling the other day. Looks like she is a one and done cow. Raised a nice calf, but doesn't make up for missing breeding season.
We had one bulling pulled her up palpated and found a calf….I know sounds crazy but a fact, I was so disappointed when told about it because had just had a customer pick her out to purchase next day they caught her standing so since we had palpated her safe early on did the recheck fully expecting to find she had slipped the calf. Needless to say was pretty darn tickled to find a baby in her.

One that I plan to keep an eye on is GAR High Security JSF 4005. http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=3905 I'm interested to see what happens as more progeny get reported. It's not a problem for me but if you're at altitude, he probably wouldn't be a good choice.
Just in the short time since I originally posted this about GAR High Security JSF 4005, his accuracies are improving and his numbers are still very impressive; $M and $C in the top 2%, $G at 3%, $B at 10%, $W at 20%, and lowest is $F at 30%. Good foot scores, just a low PAP score is his big negative for the higher altitude operations.
I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, maybe I'll wait until they release the new udder scoring EPD whenever that is….

It's all a matter of perspective, depends on if you want to look at cattle or eat cattle. He has a lot to offer, high marbling, large REA and great feed efficiency. His offspring will be top quality steaks on the grill.

It's all a matter of perspective, depends on if you want to look at cattle or eat cattle. He has a lot to offer, high marbling, large REA and great feed efficiency. His offspring will be top quality steaks on the grill.
That's a lot of wasted leg length though

If our goal is to create great beef why are we so interested in maximizing the amount of low quality cuts of the round?
I prefer a highly marbled ribeye steak!

He roaches in his top and he is short strided. Pure terminal bull IMO. Calves probably feed and grade well on quality and yield. Doesn't fit my program, which is maternal oriented, but for pure commercial with every calf going to the feedlot and retaining ownership and selling on the grid, he could make some money.

Latest posts