GAR sleep easy 1009

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone had calving problems with this bull. I had to Pull a 88 pound bull out of a first calf heifer the other day. This cow family has always run to smaller calfs. I have one more heifer bred to him an I am worried. Her family runs to large calves. I bred most of the heifers to WAR Hall of Fame 8023, 3rd year in a row.

pat

We never used Sleep Easy, Pat, but he got a lot of use in this area several years ago. Looking at his pedigree and EPDs, I wouldn't be worried about using him on heifers. The last calf we pulled was a dead 70-lb 036 calf out of a GAR Precision heifer. I sure hated to send her to the sale barn, but she should have been able to have a 70 lb. calf. Good luck with the next one....

> Has anyone had calving problems
> with this bull. I had to Pull a 88
> pound bull out of a first calf
> heifer the other day. This cow
> family has always run to smaller
> calfs. I have one more heifer bred
> to him an I am worried. Her family
> runs to large calves. I bred most
> of the heifers to WAR Hall of Fame
> 8023, 3rd year in a row.

> pat

[email protected]

patb,

how do you like the WAR Hall of Fame calves? Since he is apparently a calving ease bull, do you also give up some muscle expression?

It was the 88 pound bull calf that has me worried about the next one. I bought 5 straws to support local Junior Angus Association at auction. I used him all up last year.

pat

> We never used Sleep Easy, Pat, but
> he got a lot of use in this area
> several years ago. Looking at his
> pedigree and EPDs, I wouldn't be
> worried about using him on
> heifers. The last calf we pulled
> was a dead 70-lb 036 calf out of a
> GAR Precision heifer. I sure hated
> to send her to the sale barn, but
> she should have been able to have
> a 70 lb. calf. Good luck with the
> next one....

I have 2 of his daughters calving shortly and I like them. I had 9 steers from him last year and they had a wean ratio of 103 for me. I need to check with the feedlot that bought them and find out how they are doing. I enjoy the 60 to 70 LB calves that get up and nurse in the most adverse maine weather. I will be using him again this year for all the heifers. I highly recommend him for heifers.

pat

> patb,

> how do you like the WAR Hall of
> Fame calves? Since he is
> apparently a calving ease bull, do
> you also give up some muscle
> expression?

Latest posts