GAR Integrity comments

Help Support CattleToday:

W.B.":1l46ju2g said:
I don't know all that much about Integrity but that he is used more for his ability to sire phenotype more than his performance.

Based on my personal experience I wouldn't judge them too harshly yet. I had some 6I6 calves in 2004 and I didn't feel that they grew as good as I would have liked but the daughters that I kept all bred on the first cycle AI and they are easy keepers with perfect udders and are going to wean some awesome calves. FWIW I bred them to a Hereford bull to get some Hybrid vigor to increase my performance in the calves.
W.B. - Did the crossbred Hereford calves come up to your expectations in regard to Phenotype, and also did the hindquarters of the calves gravitate to the Hereford thickness type, or the Angus "Funnel-Butt" type? Also, was the Hybrid vigor manifested in the succeeding generations as you expected, or are they old enough to tell as yet?

DOC HARRIS

Hill Creek Farm":3llvvfq6 said:
KMacGinley":3llvvfq6 said:
Hill creek: The only 100% Angus are at the Wye Plantation. :D
What are you talking about? I don't understand? Take care. :cboy:

The Angus breed didn't go from frame 2 to frame 7 in 10 years by bringing the legendary Canadian cattle down that never bought into the pony cattle fad. For your info, neither did the herefords. Justa Banner was also called Justa Simmental. :D

The Wye Plantation in Maryland has Linebred Angus cattle that came over from Scotland Early last Century.

Regards Mac.

KMacGinley":3vt7rex1 said:
Hill Creek Farm":3vt7rex1 said:
KMacGinley":3vt7rex1 said:

The Angus breed didn't go from frame 2 to frame 7 in 10 years by bringing the legendary Canadian cattle down that never bought into the pony cattle fad. For your info, neither did the herefords. Justa Banner was also called Justa Simmental. :D

The Wye Plantation in Maryland has Linebred Angus cattle that came over from Scotland Early last Century.

Regards Mac.
Well, we always used Justa Banner in the 70's and 80's, and never had a calf look anything like Simmental. I think the only reason Justa Banner was thought to have Simmental in him, was because of rumor and his dam wasn't blood typed before she was deceased. Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":1bd9mwh7 said:
KMacGinley":1bd9mwh7 said:
Hill Creek Farm":1bd9mwh7 said:
KMacGinley":1bd9mwh7 said:

Regards Mac.
Well, we always used Justa Banner in the 70's and 80's, and never had a calf look anything like Simmental. I think the only reason Justa Banner was thought to have Simmental in him, was because of rumor and his dam wasn't blood typed before she was deceased. Take care. :cboy:

Back then all the simmies were red or yellow with a white face. But I'm sure you are right and the rumors were all completely untrue. :lol: ;-)

Go to Reed Enterprises and look at a picture of WSF PRL Justa Banner. He doesn't look much like a Simmental....or a modern Hereford for that matter.

I don't believe that you need to fudge the numbers for the long term to achieve the goals that most major breeders are after.
It takes 10 to make a contemporary group. So you put 9 poor doers in a pasture (or not) with your hot target, next years phenom calf and turn in the numbers. Your calf is the newest single trait selection pedigree that everyone is clamoring for. You get the big numbers, you buy a 4 color full page ad for each month, get a slick air brushed picture and price the semen at $25+ a straw and start filling the orders of the legion of the gullible. Sell 5-10 thousand straws and you got a year before the real numbers come in, (if there is such a thing as real numbers) Next year you have your new hot yearling bull out when everyone figures out that the emperer is not wearing any clothes. No one ever hears about old "perfection" anymore and you don't care because you have a new boy out there. Smile

If you think that a contemporary group of 10 will change the numbers that bad you are nuts. The numbers can be fudged but overtime they will sort out secondly, it takes a lot of thought and a smart person to manage a set of paper cattle to make this work. All you need is 9 calves that will weigh less than the bull you are wanting to propagate and then you will achieve your goal. How many people do you in a normal scenario keep a bunch of cows around that raise dink calves just to help their rising star? I doubt very many at all.

EPD's are like this.

If you and I were in a race and you were supposed to win the race and you do so, then that was what is supposed to happen. If I beat you in the race and wasn't the favorite then my numbers will improve.

I may question EPD's some days but I don't worry about someone who has great numbers and think that they are a crook if they do.

Latest posts