GAR bull...your opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee":2rumrkku said:
I have been faithful to ABS the past two years, but this bull is looking good. Acc. is low which is the only thing that makes me nervous. Anyone know anything about him?
Top 1% for $Feedlot and yearling, top 2% for $Beef and RE.

http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl ... 47405B4D45

Dee, your link doesn't lead to a bull. Can you post his name or registration # and we can look him up?

He's available for AI, semen is only $15 with a 20% discount 'till the end of the year. It seems that when looking for a bull, you have to sacrifice some things that are important for other things that may be more important. He seemed fairly well rounded as far as all qualities. He ranked in the top 4% for all qualities except IMF is in the top 15%. He is listed in the Bull Barn and Bovine Elite.

Dee":13p6llus said:
He's available for AI, semen is only $15 with a 20% discount 'till the end of the year. It seems that when looking for a bull, you have to sacrifice some things that are important for other things that may be more important. He seemed fairly well rounded as far as all qualities. He ranked in the top 4% for all qualities except IMF is in the top 15%. He is listed in the Bull Barn and Bovine Elite.

It's true: there are no perfect bulls. If I were going to use a very young bull, there are few operations that I would consider, GAR is one of them. But when I sell heifers, they bring more money if they are sired and bred to known bulls. We use more ABS semen than any other supplier, though we did buy some from Genex this year.

If you use the bull, come back next year and tell us what you think....

go to http://www.angus.org
and search for # 14222787
GAR New Market 7892[/quote]

Dee,

Over the years I have used a handful of young, unproven bulls. More often than not I have been disappointed in the calves out of these unproven bulls, and end-up with a handful of straws of semen of bulls I'll never use again. Most, if not all of these bulls, were from highly recognized programs with breeding philosophies comparable to mine, and out of very good bloodlines.

Occasionally I'll look at a semen catalog or breed magazine from 4 or more years ago. There are several bulls listed in these catalogs and magazines that are promoted as the next great bull in the breed. Funny thing, four years later and there is no mention of them.

If you do decide to go with this bull, I encourage you to only buy a small amount of semen on the bull and then only breed him to a handful of females.

Good luck!

I don't AI but this bull does seem to me worth taking a shot and using. If you like him you could buy more semen later. May pay more or not. I find the more I talk to people, read on this site, and have my own experiences, one has to take some risks. I severelly limit most of mine. To me $15 and a 20% discout is not a great risk. Unless you are talking 200 straws. What ever you deside good luck.

Scotty

I would advize useing youg sires without an accuracy above 60% on cows only, unless you've talked to others that have used him. You can also look him up in the Angus epd. search and check the birth on both parents. New up-dates where posted Dec.19th any ads before that may be off quite abit. You can also order a performance pedigree from AAA and it will let you know how his calves compared to others in how many heards.This will also give you the same data on his Sire and Dam.Hope this helps you.

I wouldn't just look at the sire and dam. As we had reinforced last spring, several generations back should be checked. Very high BW for at least 3 generations back can rear it's ugly head.

dun

Latest posts