"Game Preserves" terrible thing

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
How about those huge game fences? They should be illegal. I heard that yet again the last brush fire claimed several deer who were pinned against one of those 9 foot fences. Those tax exemptions for "game preserves" should be outlawed in these parts. They should atleast make them cut the fences in times like these. We are over 30 inches short on water over the last 18 months. Cedar trees are back to the point that they will literally flash.

backhoeboogie":8ziqmw1p said:
How about those huge game fences? They should be illegal. I heard that yet again the last brush fire claimed several deer who were pinned against one of those 9 foot fences. Those tax exemptions for "game preserves" should be outlawed in these parts. They should atleast make them cut the fences in times like these. We are over 30 inches short on water over the last 18 months. Cedar trees are back to the point that they will literally flash.

Cripes, I hadn't heard that...makes me sick. Makes a person want to take some wire cutters and slip around in the dead of night. 8)

Alice

Alice":2bgl78o6 said:
Cripes, I hadn't heard that...makes me sick. Makes a person want to take some wire cutters and slip around in the dead of night. 8)

Alice

The worst case I ever heard of was just east & a little north of Stephenville a few years back. It was a big topic of discussion out at Comanche Peak. It is a wonder you didn't hear about that one since it was right there at you.

just make sure when you clip the fence the elk or deer herd inside isn't being monitored for the wasting disease.

backhoeboogie":2noaygm8 said:
I heard that yet again the last brush fire claimed several deer who were pinned against one of those 9 foot fences.

How would your cows fair under the same circumstances? Considering your fencing?

Wewild":35cgm6tz said:
backhoeboogie":35cgm6tz said:
I heard that yet again the last brush fire claimed several deer who were pinned against one of those 9 foot fences.

How would your cows fair under the same circumstances? Considering your fencing?

My cows are not a problem. Been there before and was lucky. I have fire break, irrigated field etc.

The tractor is ready, the backhoe is fueled and so is the caterpillar. The spray tank is set to go.

If I come upon a brush fire with trapped cattle, I woudn't hesitate to cut wire and get them to safety.

Been burned out here at the house too. There is only 16 acres here and two head; a heifer I am keeping away from the bull and a cow I am nursing.

When a fire breaks out on a neighbors place, I'll fight it. Better to put it out there than to fight it on my own place. (done that a few times too)

If the fire trucks are there to spray me with water, I can push brush with the caterpillar.

I would run the disc a bit except that it is soo dry with no rain in sight. Soil is already blowing away.

dj":sjdsm7ra said:
just make sure when you clip the fence the elk or deer herd inside isn't being monitored for the wasting disease.

What you'd find around here are people that raise these animals (elk, deer, exotics, whatever), and then charge megabucks for "hunters" to come "hunt" them...except for a few places that raise them just to have them on their property...kind of a status thing.

Alice

Alice":17yylcyh said:
dj":17yylcyh said:

What you'd find around here are people that raise these animals (elk, deer, exotics, whatever), and then charge megabucks for "hunters" to come "hunt" them...except for a few places that raise them just to have them on their property...kind of a status thing.

Alice
--------------------------------------------------------
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a rare, fatal, neurological disease found in cervids, members of the deer family. It is a transmissible disease that slowly attacks the brain of infected deer and elk, causing the animals to progressively become emaciated, display abnormal behavior and invariably results in the death of the infected animal. It has been known to occur in wild elk and deer populations in parts of some western states for decades. The disease has also been confirmed in captive deer and elk herds in several western states and Canadian Provinces. Its discovery in wild deer in south-central Wisconsin in 2002 has generated unprecedented attention from wildlife managers, hunters, and others interested in deer. CWD poses a significant threat to the deer and elk of North America and, if unchecked, could dramatically alter the future management of wild deer and elk.
---------------------------------------------------------
Some of the preserves have had this in their herds. I would hate to unleash it on the local population unknowingly.

backhoeboogie":2q42nw1d said:
My cows are not a problem. Been there before and was lucky. I have fire break, irrigated field etc.

The tractor is ready, the backhoe is fueled and so is the caterpillar. The spray tank is set to go.

If I come upon a brush fire with trapped cattle, I woudn't hesitate to cut wire and get them to safety.

Been burned out here at the house too. There is only 16 acres here and two head; a heifer I am keeping away from the bull and a cow I am nursing.

When a fire breaks out on a neighbors place, I'll fight it. Better to put it out there than to fight it on my own place. (done that a few times too)

If the fire trucks are there to spray me with water, I can push brush with the caterpillar.

I would run the disc a bit except that it is soo dry with no rain in sight. Soil is already blowing away.

You reckon they like to loose what is theirs and makes them money less than you?

Alice":38kfkntt said:
dj":38kfkntt said:

Alice

They come under the same laws as cattle in the state of Texas when it comes to ownership rights. Don't ever get caught rustling one.

Wewild":2la0adir said:
You reckon they like to loose what is theirs and makes them money less than you?

I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

There was a guy in Montgomery that shot one with a bow through a game fence and got "Life" in prison, a few years back.

MikeC":3jmj11kf said:
There was a guy in Montgomery that shot one with a bow through a game fence and got "Life" in prison, a few years back.

Well then, let's use logic. The owner traps them in on his game preserve. He also has mother nature's wild critters there too. A brush fire breaks out and they all suffer a horrible death. Not only the imports but regular deer too. Shouldn't the owner get the same sentence? These folks just killed a bunch of regular deer out of season and it was all a waste. Isn't there also a law against waste with game animals?

backhoeboogie":m9d2g76h said:
Well then, let's use logic. The owner traps them in on his game preserve. He also has mother nature's wild critters there too. A brush fire breaks out and they all suffer a horrible death. Not only the imports but regular deer too. Shouldn't the owner get the same sentence? These folks just killed a bunch of regular deer out of season and it was all a waste. Isn't there also a law against waste with game animals?

Gee.... you want to use logic. The animals belong to him. He didn't set the fire.

He lost alot of money in that fire I suppose. I'm sure he would look at his lose the same as most people.

Do you understand now?

dj":tssw02d5 said:
Alice":tssw02d5 said:
dj":tssw02d5 said:

Alice
--------------------------------------------------------
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a rare, fatal, neurological disease found in cervids, members of the deer family. It is a transmissible disease that slowly attacks the brain of infected deer and elk, causing the animals to progressively become emaciated, display abnormal behavior and invariably results in the death of the infected animal. It has been known to occur in wild elk and deer populations in parts of some western states for decades. The disease has also been confirmed in captive deer and elk herds in several western states and Canadian Provinces. Its discovery in wild deer in south-central Wisconsin in 2002 has generated unprecedented attention from wildlife managers, hunters, and others interested in deer. CWD poses a significant threat to the deer and elk of North America and, if unchecked, could dramatically alter the future management of wild deer and elk.
---------------------------------------------------------
Some of the preserves have had this in their herds. I would hate to unleash it on the local population unknowingly.

Good point! Sometimes I get a bit passionate... :oops:

Alice

Caustic Burno":3vc0dpj8 said:
Alice":3vc0dpj8 said:
dj":3vc0dpj8 said:

Alice

They come under the same laws as cattle in the state of Texas when it comes to ownership rights. Don't ever get caught rustling one.

Well, I'm sure they do...especially if the property owners bought them and stocked them there. As far as rustling one...no, don't believe I'd know what to do with it...and trying to catch it... :shock: the thought is bizarre, really. The thought of me rustling anything is bizarre, really. :shock:

Alice