GallowayXRed Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have the opportunity to purchase three gallowayXsimmental heifers at a good price. The heifers tend to look more like galloway with long thick hair and are red. The bull I use for breeding purposes is a registered red angus. Does anyone have any information on galloway/simmental/red angus cross? I have done quite a bit of research on the net, but nothing compares to hands on experience! Thanks!

[email protected]

I've never had any Galloways but have heard that they can make pretty good momma cows, though you may sacrafice a bit in growth of the calves. So, a good Simmental/Galloway should be a keeper. However, ask to see the calving records of the dams of these heifers. If they aren't weaning a heavy calf EVERY year or it is taking longer than a year between calvings, I'd look elsewhere for heifers.

Breeding these heifers to a Red Angus will give you 75% British/25% Continental calves. This is a good blend for producing high grading calves that should still yield better than straight Galloways or Angus.

> I have the opportunity to purchase
> three gallowayXsimmental heifers
> at a good price. The heifers tend
> to look more like galloway with
> long thick hair and are red. The
> bull I use for breeding purposes
> is a registered red angus. Does
> anyone have any information on
> galloway/simmental/red angus
> cross? I have done quite a bit of
> research on the net, but nothing
> compares to hands on experience!
> Thanks!

You are lucky those cattle have some galloway in them..........hopefully enough to allow them to over come the simmental...............and produce calves that will over come the red angus......best of luck.

Latest posts