Galloway herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Galloways1

Reaction score
Very typey, there is a lot to like about the bull, not perfect, but which one is?

KNERSIE":3hr05553 said:
Very typey, there is a lot to like about the bull, not perfect, but which one is?

That's what I like about the seedstock business... the constant pursuit to make the best one.

Thanks for the comments.

Galloway2":1o82vln5 said:
KNERSIE":1o82vln5 said:

That's what I like about the seedstock business... the constant pursuit to make the best one.
Thanks for the comments.
alot of that is what has hurt the ''purebred ''seedstock business...

ALACOWMAN":3ju6omdz said:
Galloway2":3ju6omdz said:
KNERSIE":3ju6omdz said:

Thanks for the comments.
alot of that is what has hurt the ''purebred ''seedstock business...

I agree, only because many people forgot that the cattle had to work in real world settings. Breed 'em and cull 'em like they are commercial cattle, then they will work for most operations.

Thanks for the comments.[/quote] alot of that is what has hurt the ''purebred ''seedstock business...[/quote]

I agree, only because many people forgot that the cattle had to work in real world settings. Breed 'em and cull 'em like they are commercial cattle, then they will work for most operations.[/quote].......... exactly :cowboy:

That there looks like a fine way to build a herd! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Please post some of his calves.
I can't get enough of stock that looks like that!

cmf1":2unrrpyl said:
He is a good looking bull. Just wondering cmf1, can you handle the hair coat in the deep south??

Galloway2

Could you tell us HIS frame score, and what is the general average frame score of Galloway cattle? How do they perform in a feedlot environment? In attempting to "upgrade" their phenotype and genotype traits, what characteristics do you stress overall? In what geographic areas of the United States do they excell, and can they generally be profitable in the South?

Thanks.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2o2lr3mh said:
Galloway2

Could you tell us HIS frame score, and what is the general average frame score of Galloway cattle? How do they perform in a feedlot environment? In attempting to "upgrade" their phenotype and genotype traits, what characteristics do you stress overall? In what geographic areas of the United States do they excell, and can they generally be profitable in the South?

Thanks.

DOC HARRIS

Doc- This bull is a frame score 6. He weighed 2,566 at the NWSS in Jan. He was plenty fat, not showbull fat, but fleshier than I like to have breeding bulls. Most Galloways will average a frame 4 or 5. Galloways do very well in feedlot enviroments. They finish faster, and will grade choice on lesser quality feedstuffs. The biggest mistake feedlots used to make was feeding them too long. Galloways marble with less than 1/4 inch of backfat. Too many people fed them an extra 30-45 days, because they don't "look" finished. With ultrasound being used as a tool to sort pens, that can be avoided. Galloways have always been raised as a maternal, no nonsense breed. They have been bred to not only survive, but thrive on limited feed, calve unassisted and take care of it. We have not tried to change the Galloway too much. A little more frame size in the '80s and '90s, faster growth coming with that. Our goal is to produce very efficient, functional females, that can be used in just about any type of program, purebred or commercial. Our cows fend for themselves, foraging through 2-3 ft of snow to find grazing in -20 degree weather. They calve on their own, my wife and I both work off the farm, so they are on their own. Obviously the originated in a colder harsher climate, so do very well in northern climates. They do adapt, and the ahircoat insultas them from direct sunlight, and helps wick away persperation to cool them. The haircoat keeps biting insects from really bothering them at all. The feet and legs are the only area biting flies annoy them. They cannot dig through both haircoats to get to the hide. There have been Galloways in parts of the south, and my recommendations are for people to buy cattle that originate as close to them as possible. When we have or 90+ degree days, with high humidity, our Galloways handle it better than the Angus. The Galloways aren't trying to fend off insects, and deal with the heat. I would not expect one of my cows to go to south Florida, and visa versa. Heck even cattle raised in North Dakota, a few miles down the road, don't survive under the same conditions our herd does.

Thanks for the questions. Sorry for the long post.

Harley

Galloway2-

Your answer above stimulates my "What IF" thinking into wondering how Galloways might CO-contribute in a carefully-planned cross-breeding program. By analyzing cross-breed genetics and goal-seeking protocols, I can envision some PROFITABLE results, bearing in mind mandatory 'functional trait' considerations of course.

What experiences have the Galloway breeders had with cross breeding?

DOC HARRIS

A little different experience,

Started with black galloways here in WI for grass-finishing. All of the taking care of themselves is very true. Mine with age became very protective mothers to the point where tagging was not possible. I found that they were just as selective in their grazing habits as other breeds contrary to breed association literature. They are generally frame 3-4 around here. They are excellent cattle if you live in an area that is generally below 80 degrees and have marginal feed. That is where they were developed. I found that most farms here at least could put their higher quality forage to better use with other breeds. They traditionally took 30 months to finish on forage in Scotland and here they struggle to have decent marbling below that age. ( on forage only) Also, they tend to not shed until around 2 years of age. I tired of watching yearlings frothing at the mouth with a long coats during our summers. They are always the ones at the water tank while my herefords are grazing. Main reason why I moved away from black cattle anyway. I have found that they cross-breed well with the herefords I am using. Making some quite showy baldies that finish much more efficiently on forage. Prepotent sires are very hard to find within the Galloway breed.

I still do love the breed and their beauty, just felt I needed to change direction. Awesome looking bull and hope they work well for you.

AllForage":1o8wrcht said:
A little different experience,

Started with black galloways here in WI for grass-finishing. All of the taking care of themselves is very true. Mine with age became very protective mothers to the point where tagging was not possible. I found that they were just as selective in their grazing habits as other breeds contrary to breed association literature. They are generally frame 3-4 around here. They are excellent cattle if you live in an area that is generally below 80 degrees and have marginal feed. That is where they were developed. I found that most farms here at least could put their higher quality forage to better use with other breeds. They traditionally took 30 months to finish on forage in Scotland and here they struggle to have decent marbling below that age. ( on forage only) Also, they tend to not shed until around 2 years of age. I tired of watching yearlings frothing at the mouth with a long coats during our summers. They are always the ones at the water tank while my herefords are grazing. Main reason why I moved away from black cattle anyway. I have found that they cross-breed well with the herefords I am using. Making some quite showy baldies that finish much more efficiently on forage. Prepotent sires are very hard to find within the Galloway breed.

I still do love the breed and their beauty, just felt I needed to change direction. Awesome looking bull and hope they work well for you.

I have very little direct experience with galloway, but the protective mothers seem to be general concensus, even in Jockland. Interestingly enough there is a small herd of dun galloways about 20 miles from me, on the other side side of the mountain (the cooler side) and they thrive there. While it's not as hot there as it is here it still gets into 110s in summer. They are always fat as ticks and the frame 3-4 seem to be spot on.

mrvictordomino":2z8tje52 said:
cmf1":2z8tje52 said:
He is a good looking bull. Just wondering cmf1, can you handle the hair coat in the deep south??

Wouldn't be interested in them for my area but I really like the cut of that bull.
Like to see what he throws just out of curiosity.
I got a Belted Galloway for my daughter and the stripe is the only thing about that heifer of any interest to me. Don't know if it's the climate, or the heifer, or the Belted type, just am not impressed.
I've seen some decent ones around here but it appears that they take a long time to get there down here.

Still I wonder what that bull over a good beef type Brahman would throw. :)

Again Galloway2,
I think your bull is A-1. :clap:

Still I wonder what that bull over a good beef type Brahman would throw. :)

Again Galloway2,
I think your bull is A-1. :clap:[/quote]

cmf1- We have semen collected on him. :D I have seen some Galloway X Brahman. They looked just like a Brangus, only haired up a little more.

DOC HARRIS":3dwmroj6 said:
Galloway2-

Your answer above stimulates my "What IF" thinking into wondering how Galloways might CO-contribute in a carefully-planned cross-breeding program. By analyzing cross-breed genetics and goal-seeking protocols, I can envision some PROFITABLE results, bearing in mind mandatory 'functional trait' considerations of course.

What experiences have the Galloway breeders had with cross breeding?

DOC HARRIS

Doc- That is where the Galloway really shines. The breed is so much of an outcross to every other breed, the results are very good. We have had really good results with all of the british breeds. Red Angus breeders love the 1/2 blood calves. We have customers that run Balancers. Galloway works very wellith all of the Angus based composites, the Galloway is one of the few options to keeps the calves black, polled, and moderate framed, without sacrificing feed efficiency, carcass, or maternal traits. You get extra hybred vigor, because you are using a fullblood on a composite.

Thanks for the questions.

Harley

Latest posts