gaining problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Bertch

Reaction score
I have a 843 pound steer that wont gain weight. I have a friend raising him as a show steer. he is 3/4 beef 1/4 dairy. he is fed a grain ration from our local feed store its a beef grower grain they sell. he gets 16 pounds of grain a day and 2 flakes of grass and 1 flake of alfalfa a day. he eats all his feed but hasnt gained a pound in the last two weeks. he goes on and off feed real easy and when he was off feed he gained more weight. I gave a shot of ivomectin, vitamin shots, and probios. any help would be appreciated I fear he wont make weight for the show in july. he is in a 20x20 pen with another heifer.

Bertch":btii1an1 said:
I have a 843 pound steer that wont gain weight. I have a friend raising him as a show steer. he is 3/4 beef 1/4 dairy. he is fed a grain ration from our local feed store its a beef grower grain they sell. he gets 16 pounds of grain a day and 2 flakes of grass and 1 flake of alfalfa a day. he eats all his feed but hasnt gained a pound in the last two weeks. he goes on and off feed real easy and when he was off feed he gained more weight. I gave a shot of ivomectin, vitamin shots, and probios. any help would be appreciated I fear he wont make weight for the show in july. he is in a 20x20 pen with another heifer.

You might not be feeding him enough hay. The going off feed could be a result of getting too much grain in relation to how much hay he is getting - a lack of roughage combined with a high grain ration messes with their rumen function. Try increasing his hay by 1 flake and see if he cleans it up. If so, give him a few days, increase by another flake and see what happens.

grannysoo":pul0dr2k said:
When confining mine for weight gain, I give them all the hay they can eat in addition to the feed. Works for me.

Just what I was thinking.

Pour the hay to him and if possible divide those feedings up into 4 small meals instead of 1 or 2 big meals. Mix about 6 oz. of sodium bicarbonate into his daily ration.

The problem with haigh grain AND hay rations is they can;t use either one effectively. There are different microbes for digesting each type. The baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) in the grain will help, but you have to decide if you're going to grain him heavy or hay him heavy.

dun":2papmow0 said:
The problem with haigh grain AND hay rations is they can;t use either one effectively. There are different microbes for digesting each type. The baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) in the grain will help, but you have to decide if you're going to grain him heavy or hay him heavy.

I hay them heavy and grain them light.

dun":ayjx6b8j said:

Bacteria for the digestion of both should be present in the rumen of a really healthy animal. You might also add some yeast to the ration to create a healthier environment for growth of beneficial bacteria but your calf is slug feeding and probably has a shortage of long stem roughage and rumen ph is bouncing up and down like a yoyo.

Latest posts