G A R Sunrise

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19lq4s42 said:
I get lots of "reddish" colored calves that turn out to be shiny black as yearlings.

Same here, a lot of our Angus calves will be a brownish or reddish color for several months, but always turn out to be black. Had some calves from Angus cows and a red Limousin bull last year, some of them stayed reddish until after weaning but they eventually were turning pretty well black by the time we sold them.

Interesting, thanks for the reassurances, y'all. I'll repost in a few months when hopefully they will be jet black. They are otherwise very nice heifers.

Reddish calves: check your minerals to be sure you have adequate copper. We used to have reddish calves, too. No more.

Ebenezer":2gi8fhcp said:
Reddish calves: check your minerals to be sure you have adequate copper. We used to have reddish calves, too. No more.
This definitely can cause reddish hair coats, but mine are not. It is a Simmental "genetic" "thing". And if it is copper deficiency, it will usually show up in the mature cows also.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8gapjw7f said:
Ebenezer":8gapjw7f said:
This definitely can cause reddish hair coats, but mine are not. It is a Simmental "genetic" "thing". And if it is copper deficiency, it will usually show up in the mature cows also.

Sometimes it's hard for the Angus gene to cover the reddish brown gene up.

boondocks said:
Interesting, thanks for the reassurances, y'all. I'll repost in a few months when hopefully they will be jet black. They are otherwise very nice heifers.

Any update on the Sunrise heifers?

Latest posts