G A R New Market 7892

Help Support CattleToday:

SEC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
889
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
I am not saying that your customers don't like what they are buying or saying that you shouldn't feed them to much or little.

For me, it seems awful fleshy. On the other hand you seem to have a handle on things and like most of us if it wasn't working out properly it would get changed.

I am curious though, what would others have for RIB and RUMP fat measurement on their heifers.

How about bulls.
 

MikeC

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2005
Messages
7,636
Reaction score
1
Location
Alabama
Aero":2ok6h1sf said:
do you think they look as fleshy as the numbers say they are?

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=21

what do the ultrasound scans say your "less fleshy" heifers are? do you ultrasound?

Matt, Does your ultrasound tech go into detail about how much feed/grain your animals have had in the 6 months prior to the scan?

Mine wants to know how much per day mine have had so that he can adjust accordingly. It just makes sense that the animals that have been fed better have the better scores and keeping them in a contemporary group is the big deal, I suppose.
 

Aero

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
30
Location
NC
MikeC":2gbkw9fj said:
Matt, Does your ultrasound tech go into detail about how much feed/grain your animals have had in the 6 months prior to the scan?

Mine wants to know how much per day mine have had so that he can adjust accordingly. It just makes sense that the animals that have been fed better have the better scores and keeping them in a contemporary group is the big deal, I suppose.

these were all in the same contemporary group and fed the same.

i dont know what you mean by "he can adjust accordingly". from what i know about ultrasound and ultrasound techs, they just get the images and the labs do the reading.
 

MikeC

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2005
Messages
7,636
Reaction score
1
Location
Alabama
Aero":147n16l7 said:
MikeC":147n16l7 said:
Matt, Does your ultrasound tech go into detail about how much feed/grain your animals have had in the 6 months prior to the scan?

Mine wants to know how much per day mine have had so that he can adjust accordingly. It just makes sense that the animals that have been fed better have the better scores and keeping them in a contemporary group is the big deal, I suppose.

these were all in the same contemporary group and fed the same.

i dont know what you mean by "he can adjust accordingly". from what i know about ultrasound and ultrasound techs, they just get the images and the labs do the reading.

Correct. But when carcass EPD's are calculated from ultrasound, they are compared with every other animal in the breed.

If a set of heifers from farm A are on full feed and a set of heifers from farm B were pastured only, then the EPD comparisons wouldn't be as valid because the heifers from A would naturally have more fat because of the carbohydrate intake.

There has to be a feeding regimen stipulation somewhere in the analysis. Would be the same as when I register I have to note whether my calves are creeped or not.

I was just wondering how the different techs and/or labs quantify these differences and how much detail they require.
 

Aero

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
30
Location
NC
i think you have been led astray.

the only thing that is contributed to calculating EPD's is ratios within each contemporary group. you (and i) enter the type of feed, but it is only for record keeping and for internal AAA research. the ratio is the only thing contributing to EPDs. that is how EPDs are good across different environments and feed programs.
 

SEC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
889
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
Yes, I do CUP ultrasound.

Like I mentioned before, from what I am used to it seems fleshy but that is only my opinion. When we do our bulls they would have average .22-.25 for rib fat, can't remember where the rump fat would be.

The heifers come in at .18-.22 for rib fat.

They weighed anywhere from 925-1100 at scan time which puts them around 14 1/2 month of age maximum to 121/2 month of age.

I have noticed other scans show higher flesh than what we are used to as well. LIke I mentioned in a previous post, what works for you and what works for me might be two different things. Bottom line is selling or keeping good animals.
 

Aero

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
30
Location
NC
SEC":qsu0llam said:
LIke I mentioned in a previous post, what works for you and what works for me might be two different things. Bottom line is selling or keeping good animals.

exactly right. ;-)
 

TSR

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Aero":2notdtvz said:
i think you have been led astray.

the only thing that is contributed to calculating EPD's is ratios within each contemporary group. you (and i) enter the type of feed, but it is only for record keeping and for internal AAA research. the ratio is the only thing contributing to EPDs. that is how EPDs are good across different environments and feed programs.

That is the way my ultrasound tech explained it to me. Your heifers sure don't look overly fat to me-just in "good shape".
I'm glad you explained the adj. score on the imf. I just had some heifers scanned and one scored 6.4 or thereabouts imf and then it was adjusted to 5.8 or so and I was trying to understand why the adjustment on an ultrasound. I have to admit I still am somewhat puzzled. BTW this was a grassfed reg. angus heifer.
 

Latest posts

Top