Fuzzy new Highland bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeportfarms

Reaction score
The first of 4 of our Highlands to calve. We finally got to see one in real time. All of our calves this year have just been there early in the morning. My wife and I were taking a walk through the property, and I noticed the cow was acting different, back arched, tail in the air, getting up and down a lot. Thought it may happen soon and about running to get the camera at the building, but it would have been 20 minutes round trip, and I was afraid I'd miss it...too bad.

He popped out 40 minutes later. She's been a good mom, and even letting us handle him a little (It could be a bit intimidating with those horns of hers). The other Highlands should be within a few days. One is a heifer, hope she goes as smoothly.

P10100172.JPG

P10100151.JPG

P1010009.JPG

We think he'll stay black with some red highlights, sorta like our Highland heifers below. The heifers have developed a little more red as they've grown. One of them has red bangs, a black body that then has red highlights as you move further back. As calves they do remind me of ewoks! :nod: And I really enjoyed watching the highlands walking through the deep snow of this past winter. You can't beat the piece of mind even when there's a blizzard raging outside :D

P10100301.JPG

Latest posts