Future of Coal

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2ushvyzk said:
Bright Raven":2ushvyzk said:
Craig Miller":2ushvyzk said:
That's one way of looking at it I've never thought of. But what do non land owners pay to use those same facilities?

Craig. That is a long debated issue. Non land owners also don't pay school taxes which are figured into your property tax assessment.

That is the reason sales tax is the only fair route.

I tend to agree.

zirlottkim":2oooglbb said:
Bright Raven":2oooglbb said:
Our Republic is based on old English principles going back to the Magna Carta. In fact, the Magna Carta was fundamentally about the right of a private individual versus a King or Noble to own land. Taxes came with the right.
Property taxes have deep roots.

In a Republic the emphasis is on the better good of the whole rather than the individual while still protecting the individual to the extent that it does not infringe on the interests of the whole. Hence, where eminent domain comes from. The government has the AUTHORITY under eminent domain to seize property if it is the interest of the whole.

Governments do not have rights. Only people have rights. Governments can/should have a role in securing rights. Anything more than that can only suppress individual rights.

Edited - Authority is a better word. Thank you.

I know there's a ton of opportunity for offshore wind energy, but selling it to the public is another story. Can't say anything past that, but it's a bitch.

I'd like to see a flat sales tax, but what's a fair rate? And really, how hard is it to get around? And do you start taxing currently nontaxed items such as certain groceries? It's a nice pipe dream, but will need some serious help to become a reality.

Bestoutwest":tv9cxlg8 said:
I'd like to see a flat sales tax, but what's a fair rate? It's a nice pipe dream, but will need some serious help to become a reality.

We will see a Martian in the White House before a flat tax.

Caustic Burno":qyz2famb said:
TexasBred":qyz2famb said:
Caustic Burno":qyz2famb said:
If you truly own something you shouldn't have to pay the government to keep it.
No if's ands or but's.
You're paying the government for use of their facilities...highways, freeways, schools, police, military etc. etc. etc.

I don't have a deed to none of the above. Everything you listed is public property.
No it's government owned......they own it lock stock and barrel....your taxes secure you a permit to use their property just as you pay a fee to drive on privately funded toll roads. No deed her bud...just a permit. To you a deed means nothing anyway..you're just renting.

Caustic Burno":1zo4ctqi said:
Bright Raven":1zo4ctqi said:
Craig Miller":1zo4ctqi said:
That's one way of looking at it I've never thought of. But what do non land owners pay to use those same facilities?

Craig. That is a long debated issue. Non land owners also don't pay school taxes which are figured into your property tax assessment.

CB can it be enforced?? Even today look how much retails sales are cash. Billions are being collected in sales tax but is that full amount being remitted to the gov't?? Pretty darn easy to just say "That sale never happened and keep the tax on it".

danl":2vcqj9y5 said:
Is there any place you can buy a pickup load of coal?

I have a outdoor wood boiler and it is capable of burning coal. Always wanted to try.
None for sale in Southeast MO

You can pick it up in Bristol TN for $100 ton. Might want to go ahead and pick up two if you are driving this far.

TexasBred":1u04332i said:
Caustic Burno":1u04332i said:
Bright Raven":1u04332i said:

CB can it be enforced?? Even today look how much retails sales are cash. Billions are being collected in sales tax but is that full amount being remitted to the gov't?? Pretty darn easy to just say "That sale never happened and keep the tax on it".

Be more fair the current system as tourists,illegal aliens along with welfare recipients would have to pay their share as well.
Sure a few dollars would get missed here or there. But you can bet your bottom dollar sooner or later it would get spent and taxed.

TexasBred":3d8s5eth said:
Caustic Burno":3d8s5eth said:
Bright Raven":3d8s5eth said:

That's what makes the restaurant business profitable.

In apts and managed single family rentals, the property owner himself pays little to no property tax.
The renters each pay a portion of the property tax. It's figured into their rent payment. When property appraisal goes up, generally, so will the rent.

TennesseeTuxedo":1h2czbep said:
Caustic Burno":1h2czbep said:
Bright Raven":1h2czbep said:

I tend to agree.

Someone mentioned on another thread that taxes were built into the rent so I guess these folks are paying taxes as well.

TexasBred":23sndvt6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":23sndvt6 said:
Caustic Burno":23sndvt6 said:

I tend to agree.

Someone mentioned on another thread that taxes were built into the rent so I guess these folks are paying taxes as well.

No doubt but if we eliminate property taxes rents will fall.

TexasBred":32bjtow0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":32bjtow0 said:
TexasBred":32bjtow0 said:

Right. :lol2:

If you think market forces don't weigh heavily on rents you need to get out more TB. 2 years ago landlords in Nashville could almost name their price, now you see "first month free" and other inducements advertised.

TennesseeTuxedo":1jjuev4u said:
TexasBred":1jjuev4u said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1jjuev4u said:

Right. :lol2:

If you think market forces don't weigh heavily on rents you need to get out more TB. 2 years ago landlords in Nashville could almost name their price, now you see "first month free" and other inducements advertised.
Probably more a result of overbuilding than anything else. Ain't nothing free. But it helps if you can make them think it's free.

Bright Raven":1rvml14g said:
Coal is struggling to compete. The issues are economic. Mining requires enormous investment capital. The cost of production includes:

Labor
Land and mineral acquisition
Large equipment
Infrastructure - loading tipples and handling.
Mining methods involve large earth moving operations.
Reclamation costs.

Other energy sources are simply cheaper. As a result Maysville, known for two large coal fired power plants on the Ohio River, is going to suffer a major loss of jobs.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.maysvill ... e.amp.html

The open pit mines that were operated by TXU around Mount Pleasant and Sulphur Springs Texas are closed. The one around Mount Pleasant was told several years ago to become profitable as was the one at Sulphur Springs. They were given a year the one around Mount Pleasant did not meet the goals and was closed. The one at Sulphur Springs was kept open until they tried putting out a fire in the coal inside the silo with water. The silo exploded and several men were trapped in the hot ash that came out. All survived. Also they had to bring coal from Wyoming to blend with the Texas coal to use the Texas coal. The generating plant at Mount Pleasant is closed or being closed. Also the mine at Sulphur Springs has been reclaimed and has won awards for this effort. Last I heard they were trying to give the reclaimed mine to the city and the city would use some of it as a landfill. I think this is true but cannot vouch for the accuracy. KKR had bought TXU several years ago and not had to much luck in making it profitable.

If you have ever walked through a combined cycle power plant it's not hard to see why coal fired plants aren't profitable anymore. A 1500 MW plant can be ran easily with 20-30 shift folks and 5-6 admin people. Maybe need a big forklift and a pick up to move things. Coal plants have a ton of equipment and people to deal with. I bet the weekly fuel bill at a coal plant will pay a gas plants salary for a year.

From what I can gather the reclaimed land is excellent for running cattle if you can get your hands on it.

danl":2xwqmh6i said:
Is there any place you can buy a pickup load of coal?

I have a outdoor wood boiler and it is capable of burning coal. Always wanted to try.
None for sale in Southeast MO

try rental equipment places. we have a couple places around here you can buy bulk coal.