future milk prices

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Someone told me that we could say $30 perm hundred milk for dairy farmers, and milk could go up to $7 a gallon in the store, i don't believe either, but that sure would be some real good money for us

Guess what? milk has been as high as $5.99 an imperial gallon ( in the store of course, the farmer doesn't get paid that much) north of the 49th parallel, in our area. Of course it is cheaper in the southern big cities, but not out here in rural areas.I guess it is even higher the farther north one goes.
Of course we have a quota system that keeps the price artificially high too.
That is one reason I have my own milk cow, both because of the price and quality control.
Nite Hawk

Yeah in Alaska milk is $9 a gallon its all about how cose your are to major citys and transportation etc..

GMN":2yn5s8sw said:
Someone told me that we could say $30 perm hundred milk for dairy farmers, and milk could go up to $7 a gallon in the store, i don't either, but that sure would be some real good money for us

I hadn't heard that. I know a couple of guys who are currently selling to DFA and getting around $21 a hundred with quality and component bonus'. With feed prices being like they are it would almost take $30 milk to turn a decent profit. $7 a gallon for milk will still be less expensive than some of the alternatives "drinks of choice".

denvermartinfarms":1l85z2by said:
I have heard that grade a will be atleast $28 by may.

About time. Too many dairies have already thrown in the towel after trying to pay today's prices for everything on 1960s milk prices.

if you see $28 milk.do you have any idea how much supplies an feed will go up to get a bigger peice of the pie.

I did see last night where some type of help the government gives to Dairy Farmers is set to be up and if not reinstated Milk could go up to $8 dollar average.

bigbull338":rqkhjrnk said:
if you see $28 milk.do you have any idea how much supplies an feed will go up to get a bigger peice of the pie.

Competition will hold those down BB...Most dairy co-ops have no competition for the milk so you're at their mercy. Not so with feed and supplies. You can change suppliers every week and they know it so prices will be based on demand.

TB you maybe right.but around here i dont know if theres any dairy equipment dealers left.i do know the equipment dealers are hurting here or thats what they say.but then again weve bought a few peices of equipment in the last 2 or 3wks.plus i know dairy cows an heifers are fairly cheap.$1200 to $1400 a hd for a potload of cows.open heifers $500 to $650 a hd for a potload.

bigbull338":2ex04zf7 said:
TB you maybe right.but around here i dont know if theres any dairy equipment dealers left.i do know the equipment dealers are hurting here or thats what they say.but then again weve bought a few peices of equipment in the last 2 or 3wks.plus i know dairy cows an heifers are fairly cheap.$1200 to $1400 a hd for a potload of cows.open heifers $500 to $650 a hd for a potload.

Heard the other day that Erath Dairy Sale is only selling every other week or something like tht. I haven't been over to check it out.

our local dairy sale is down to a sale twice a month.an runs less than 300hd at the sales.

Milk prices are bumping close to $23 a cwt now-but with feed being $18 a cwt, and all else crazy high, its not like we are getting ahead.Throw in the drought effects, everyone's feed is just not making the cows milk like they normally do, and the worries of aflatoxins in the corn now-its kind of a worrisome time for dairy farmers.Once in awhile i think is it worth it?

GMN":363arxot said:
Milk prices are bumping close to $23 a cwt now-but with feed being $18 a cwt, and all else crazy high, its not like we are getting ahead.Throw in the drought effects, everyone's feed is just not making the cows milk like they normally do, and the worries of aflatoxins in the corn now-its kind of a worrisome time for dairy farmers.Once in awhile i think is it worth it?

Agree......DFA will quit testing for aflatoxin after the first of the year probably. Ask your feed supplier to put some Novasil Plus in the feed mix. 15 lbs. per ton....It's a "flow agent" but also does a great job of binding up aflatoxin. ;-) He should do it free of charge just for his own safety.