Future Herd Sire.....I hope.

Help Support CattleToday:

strihafarms

Reaction score
Just purchased this bull and I was curious about what his weaknesses and strengths are? Thanks in advance.

https://www.dvauction.com/video_catalogs/4679

Looks alright to me.. I don't know if it's really cold but he could use a bit more nuts, maybe he's keeping them tucked in the weather though.. Hope he does good for you!

Looks like a nice thick bull. I'll give you a quick analysis of his epds.
Both his calving ease and bw epd are in bottom 4% of the breed, so not a heifer bull.

GM top 4% = He's an excellent bull for terminal production.
GM - GridMaster epd focuses solely on feedlot and carcass traits with NO consideration as to
replacement heifer value.
adg - top 1%
ww top 14%
yw top 4%

HB - Herd Builder measures the production value of females both as momma cows and as feedlot
heifers.
HB top 22%
I'd expect his replacement females will be slightly below breed average and the high HB comes from
his daughters performance as feedlot heifers. Not saying he won't sire usable replacement females,
but you'll probably sort out more for the feedlot than the keeper pen vs the average Red Angus bull.

M = Daughter Milk and Mothering ability.... his M is bottom 26%
CEM bottom 38%
Stability top 29%
heifer pregnancy rate - breed average

I think you'll be happy with his calves. What kind of cows will he be breeding?

lot 4 is fancier than lot 1 with better front end extension and will make better replacement females
than lot 1 plus you can probably get away with using him on heifers.

lot 1 is a cow bull, they're usually the best value ($2500 - $4,000) at auctions because everyone
worries about calving ease. Use him only on cows and you'll be happy because his calves will have
the best growth and feedlot performance.

I like lot 10 best because he is a calving ease bull (but not extreme ce) that will make good females.
But he'd probably cost you an extra $1,000 - 1500 because people like to bid up the heifer bulls and
he would be a poor value if your goal is terminal.

p.s.
I fault your bull for being Red... :) ... (just kidding)

Just purchased this bull and I was curious about what his weaknesses and strengths are? Thanks in advance.
RAAA EPD info...click on the non-parent tab which is applicable to your bull. Bare in mind the EPDs of the bull you purchased aren't static due to the wealth of genetic data generated daily, acknowledged possible change and the fact that sans progeny he likewise lacks accuracy.
https://redangus.org/genetics/epd-percentiles/
You can peruse his performance and extended pedigree via https://redangus.org/data-search-tools/
FWIW he seemed to move ok but I abhor the deep straw nonsense. Difficult to access the testicle development/structure. Thick but perhaps a bit pinched in the heart girth and an inclination for upward tipped pelvis structure as indicated by his tail head. Definitely displayed an ability to gain post weaning. Would expect soggy calves from cows. Not heifer friendly.

Latest posts