Funny to me anyway

Help Support CattleToday:

I refuse to use hot shots and won't let people use them on my animals either, slow and steady seems to work better. Was at a sale about a month ago, and 2 little boys were zapping everything on the way out ~ thought someone might want to give them a taste of that.

angie":2ovxcpyn said:
I refuse to use hot shots and won't let people use them on my animals either, slow and steady seems to work better. Was at a sale about a month ago, and 2 little boys were zapping everything on the way out ~ thought someone might want to give them a taste of that.
Angrie get back in your corner before I take a HOT SHOT to you

Hotshots are not a bad device if used when needed and used correctly
I try to work my cows slow and easy also but he77 I ain't gonna spend all day running 150 hd thru the chute when I can give a few of them a lil shot to make em speed up and move on so we can get done in a couple hrs

and as far as getting shot myself it has happened more than a couple a times no I don't like it but it sure made me move which is what it was designed for

So go on everybody rip away

I have no problem with anyone using hotshots on their cattle - it's your business! I've found that I get better results with my cattle not using hotshots in the long run. Maybe another breed (like GMN mentioning Holsteins) requires that; my brangus need nothing to get them hot - the fact that they are in the corral is enough to get them hot. I've seen too many brangus go down in a chute because they are so worked up; I can't help but believe that a hot shot would make it worse. Ofcourse I've seen people work herefords where they had cattle that had to be forced everywhere. You get behind a brangus with a stick and she is going to move - you just better have the squeeze chute ready!

cypressfarms":1rcve0no said:
I have no problem with anyone using hotshots on their cattle - it's your business! I've found that I get better results with my cattle not using hotshots in the long run. Maybe another breed (like GMN mentioning Holsteins) requires that; my brangus need nothing to get them hot - the fact that they are in the corral is enough to get them hot. I've seen too many brangus go down in a chute because they are so worked up; I can't help but believe that a hot shot would make it worse. Ofcourse I've seen people work herefords where they had cattle that had to be forced everywhere. You get behind a brangus with a stick and she is going to move - you just better have the squeeze chute ready!
Exactly if your cows are going thru the chute like they should no need for a hotshot but I am gonna Be dammed if I am gonna stand and wait for 10 minutes for an old lazy A$$ cow to sull up in the alley until she decides it is time to move that is when they get a poke to make em go on and get going

editted to add
I forgot I run them CRAZY ANGUS COWS that all these Real cattlemen on here are scared of so I don't ever need a hotshot

GMN":2jcxhyvc said:
Why don't you all like hot shots, they serve a purpose and work.

GMN
I agree on this on this topic. You are in the dairy businesss and I don't think you would needlessly shock your cattle. I would think you would use common sense as to when a hotshot is useful and when not.

Some people want to make a rule as to how cattle should be handled. Like one size fits all. They want to impose a "political correct" methodology for handling cattle. It is just not that way.

Sort of reminds me of posters some time back who would criticise someone else and say "they should not be in the cattle business". That is the mark of a novice trying to act like an old cattle hand. They just made fools of themselves.

There is not just one way and anybody that thinks there is simply does not know what they are talking about.
So GMN, I agree with you and Angus Cowman on this subject. But not the source of your signature line.

When it comes to working cows I have a hot shot, axe handle, sorting stick and a 45 and I have used everyone of them .
I pen cattle to work them not play with them. When it comes time we can do it the easy way with the sorting stick or move to the means nessacary to get the job done.

Caustic Burno":zxy4ydk9 said:
When it comes to working cows I have a hot shot, axe handle, sorting stick and a 45 and I have used everyone of them .
I pen cattle to work them not play with them. When it comes time we can do it the easy way with the sorting stick or move to the means nessacary to get the job done.
CB if you were behind me barking I think I'd move pretty fast to.... :lol:

Caustic Burno":3pmzbh0a said:
Exactly

Latest posts