Funny to me anyway

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We ahve one old Hereford cow that is way too tame, no flight zone and when she doesn;t want to go she just won;t go. We were working them yesterday and her turn to go up the alley came around. Block head wouldn;t move. I cranked her tail so tight and far I thought it would break. Stupid cow started twitching and swaying just like they do when they're scratching that magic spot. That went on for 3-4 minutes and I fainlly gave up. I thought the spectators were going to wet themsleves they were laghing so hard at her antics. Finalyy just gave her the shots standing loose in the catch pen.

That works.

I can just imagine.... :lol: :lol:

I've got a photo in my files of a smart-looking, horned Jersey cow - with rope round her horns and lashed to the side bars. What you can't see is the roped up foot on her other side - she balked at the head gate and that was the only way I could get to look at her foot. Lucky the person who dehorned her botched up the job.

I'm getting a new bull today. The owners' wife said don't worry about getting the trailer to the back pasture, he's halter broke and I can lead him on the four wheeler. Told my wife and she wanted to know if he knows how to be driven. That got me worried, then I told her they collected 100 units off him yesterday, and she said that now he's probably wore out for the season. Now I'm really worried, gonna' stop talking to the wife. LOL

dun":2ydn6pwv said:
We ahve one old Hereford cow that is way too tame, no flight zone and when she doesn;t want to go she just won;t go. We were working them yesterday and her turn to go up the alley came around. Block head wouldn;t move. I cranked her tail so tight and far I thought it would break. Stupid cow started twitching and swaying just like they do when they're scratching that magic spot. That went on for 3-4 minutes and I fainlly gave up. I thought the spectators were going to wet themsleves they were laghing so hard at her antics. Finalyy just gave her the shots standing loose in the catch pen.

Dun,

I have a bull that freezes in the runway and doesn't ever want to walk in the chute. We wind up sliding posts in front/behind him and working him in place; then backing him out. Funny a 2000 pound bull scared to go in the chute. He's never mean about it, he just stops, and if a 2,000 pound bull doesn't want to move, he isn't. I also don't use hots shots, can't stand them.

It never fails though, when we work the first cow or calf that goes through stops. So I have to grab the tail and get poop on my hands. Why can't it be the last cow?

I had a tiger flip completely over in the chute that was fun. Try hooking log chains and lifting her out of the chute with a tractor. Getting the chains on were not near as tough as getting them off. After the rodeo she did go in the trailer and the salebarn, she didn't even have a ticket until this stunt.

Dun, I got a girl who had her first calf this year I call Sully for that very reason. She's not a pet by any means, but she's not scared of you either. My brother's still young enough to get pig-headed about such things, so when she was a yr old and wouldn't go in the chute after he cranked on her tail, he starts pushing on her - like 200 pounds is gonna be able to move 800 by shear force. :roll: I just asked him if he remembered anything from physics. ;-)

like 200 pounds is gonna be able to move 800 by shear force. I just asked him if he remembered anything from physics.

I don't know physics, but I seen that done many a time. Can do it myself on the smaller cows - though it certainly helps if there's someone else there with a rope on the head, or to catch the head gate.
Stand behind them, put your back kinda under their rump and lift/push - by the time their hind feet come off the ground they're generally staggering forward.

cypressfarms":3oorof39 said:
dun":3oorof39 said:

Dun,

I have a bull that freezes in the runway and doesn't ever want to walk in the chute. We wind up sliding posts in front/behind him and working him in place; then backing him out. Funny a 2000 pound bull scared to go in the chute. He's never mean about it, he just stops, and if a 2,000 pound bull doesn't want to move, he isn't. I also don't use hots shots, can't stand them.

It never fails though, when we work the first cow or calf that goes through stops. So I have to grab the tail and get poop on my hands. Why can't it be the last cow?
Perhaps he sences what might happen and doesn't want his Prairie oysters chopped :lol: . Not saying he going to mind.

A couple of months ago I had a about a 700 pound steer lock up on me in the chute. I needed him in the head catch. I messed with him for 30 or 45 minutes. I don't beat on them or scream at em, don't figure it does any good. I say many derogatory things to them in a hatefull voice though, do the tail twist and generally poke on them with a rod.

He was the last one so I had left the corral gate open. About that time #40 walked in the corral. She is a way too tame, real pushy cow.
She has no problems with the chute and knows the drill. She just wants to get in and out.
I had a brain storm. I ran her in the chute and pulled the boards out from behind the steer. She put her head down, picked him up from the rear, she had his butt above the side of the chute. and shoved him into the head catch. That locking sound of the catch was very satisfying. Just made my day.
Impressed me all over again, how strong those neck muscle are and how bad they could hurt you with the swing of the head.

I have a cow who I can give 6 or 7 subQ 10cc LA200 shots by just walking up to her and haltering her in the pasture. She circles, but I can get the shots in her. No point trying to put her in the chute.

We had her in the market pen when she was weaned, but she kept standing at the gate to the pen where the kids' 4H calves were when we were in there working them. Opened the gate to take a 4H calf out to work on the halter, and this calf slipped in. Went to chase her out and she wouldn't spook, so I put a halter on her in a 30ft pen the first time she'd ever been handled and she led. Figured I couldn't ship that kind of disposition. :!:

She turned out to be one heck of a cow, but never looked like it until she was 3 or 4.

I helped a buddy work his calves Sunday. He had a 4 year old cow in the chute, when he opened it to let her out she wouldn't go...a bucket of feed and some sweet talkin she finally came.

pretty dang funny :mrgreen:

GMN":34candl3 said:
Why don't you all like hot shots, they serve a purpose and work.

GMN
Yes they have a purpose. Frequently is to get the animals so stirred up that it's harder to work them and if they get really nutty someone gets hurt. If you break our a hotshot while our vet is there he'll quietly put his stuff in the truck and leave.

GMN":2lo86d1m said:
Why don't you all like hot shots, they serve a purpose and work. GMN

I'm not opposed to the hot shot when the need arises, but I want the working process to be as positive as it can be. I don't mind taking a little extra time to work quiet cattle.
And sometimes you just don't have it handy - or the batteries are dead. The only time we've used one on our place in the past several years was this past calving season when some of the heifers whose calves had to be pulled were so give out they didn't want to get up after we got the calf out.
One little tap is all it took to rouse them enough they'd get up and nuzzle the calf.

We have an old cow (no teeth) who we got in the alley but couldn't get her in the chute. We tried hollering, the paddle, a bushy limb and tried the tail thing. She just stood there and looked at us.
My husband looks at me and says okay what now? I went over and got the syringe and started back with it and said I guess we will just have to give it to her where she is. That old cow looked at me and rushed right into the chute. Ha ha.

jkwilson":33zw7cpl said:
I have a cow who I can give 6 or 7 subQ 10cc LA200 shots by just walking up to her and haltering her in the pasture. She circles, but I can get the shots in her. No point trying to put her in the chute.

We had her in the market pen when she was weaned, but she kept standing at the gate to the pen where the kids' 4H calves were when we were in there working them. Opened the gate to take a 4H calf out to work on the halter, and this calf slipped in. Went to chase her out and she wouldn't spook, so I put a halter on her in a 30ft pen the first time she'd ever been handled and she led. Figured I couldn't ship that kind of disposition. :!:

She turned out to be one heck of a cow, but never looked like it until she was 3 or 4.
Thanks for sharing that story. Do you have any pictures of your cows? Thanks in advance.

farmwriter":1qotj9gm said:
GMN":1qotj9gm said:
Why don't you all like hot shots, they serve a purpose and work. GMN

I'm not opposed to the hot shot when the need arises, but I want the working process to be as positive as it can be. I don't mind taking a little extra time to work quiet cattle.
And sometimes you just don't have it handy - or the batteries are dead. The only time we've used one on our place in the past several years was this past calving season when some of the heifers whose calves had to be pulled were so give out they didn't want to get up after we got the calf out.
One little tap is all it took to rouse them enough they'd get up and nuzzle the calf.
The few times I've had that problem a slap in the face with my hat has got them up on their feet.

GMN":34vcibr9 said:

GMN

GMN,

Not sure what type of cattle you have, but hot shoting a brangus or tigerstripe does not work. You hit one, and they all go bezerk. I have some fiberglass rods that we use as prods, and another rod I got from Jeffers that has a plastic paddle with bb's in it. When the cows hear that shaking sound, they take off.

dun":2rvz5hrh said:
farmwriter":2rvz5hrh said:
The few times I've had that problem a slap in the face with my hat has got them up on their feet.

Not a bad idea - I'll try to remember that and hope I don't need to.

cypressfarms":26yu0jfo said:
GMN":26yu0jfo said:

GMN

GMN,

Not sure what type of cattle you have, but hot shoting a brangus or tigerstripe does not work. You hit one, and they all go bezerk. I have some fiberglass rods that we use as prods, and another rod I got from Jeffers that has a plastic paddle with bb's in it. When the cows hear that shaking sound, they take off.

You should know- that I have Holsteins I have a dairy farm, and yes hot shots do work on animals if they are used correctly.

GMN