Funny shaped potato.........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
While digging potatoes I found this one shaped almost like a heart.....
o95NYIx.jpg

Good year for potatoes.....

0AmOQ7J.jpg

How close were your reds and whites planted? We planted both beside each other one year and they all came out red.

Craig Miller":3dytf0q4 said:
How close were your reds and whites planted? We planted both beside each other one year and they all came out red.
In the same row.

Craig Miller":2oin12vs said:
Weird.... People have always said irises do that and I'd poopoo it. But I was given around 10 different colored ones for a house warming gift 30 years ago. They grew their designated colors for a few years and one year they were all purple and have been ever since....
I planted a bag of seed red potatoes very late in the season...Atwoods had them on sale for 10 cents and I figured, what the heck.. Best crop of red potatoes I've ever had. I did almost nothing to prepare them...just made a trench, cut them as I dropped them in, covered and plied on pine straw. I know I've spent way more time and money in getting them in the ground on the exact day and got a crap crop......go figure

Craig Miller":kar7wcmw said:
BRYANT":kar7wcmw said:
cowgirl8":kar7wcmw said:
covered and plied on pine straw.
Does the pine straw put something the ground that they need ???

I'm curious about the pine straw too because I was considering covering my garden with it
Its the best weed control ever. And over time it just vanishes. For years we've considered baling it and selling by the truck loads to nurseries..

cowgirl8":1yusg7ju said:
Craig Miller":1yusg7ju said:
BRYANT":1yusg7ju said:
Does the pine straw put something the ground that they need ???

I'm curious about the pine straw too because I was considering covering my garden with it
Its the best weed control ever. And over time it just vanishes. For years we've considered baling it and selling by the truck loads to nurseries..

Tha5s what I wanted it for. Have you had any trouble with anything not growing under it

Craig Miller":3earqopn said:
cowgirl8":3earqopn said:
Craig Miller":3earqopn said:

Tha5s what I wanted it for. Have you had any trouble with anything not growing under it
A lot of people think it changes the acidity, but it doesn't. Some think the needles have properties that keeps seeds from germinating, but it doesn't. Someone said, Then how come nothing grows under pines. I went out and took pictures of where some sun was getting through and all the stuff that sprouts under them. No sun gets through thick pines.....its no sun, not the needles altering the germination...
I planted some fall corn seeds and stacked about 6 inches of needles over it. The corn had no problem growing through that thick of mat. BUT, it does give doodle bugs shelter and they wiped out my whole crop. I was more worried about weeds and didn't think about the doodle bugs... That is the only drawback I've had using them, but its only a problem if its really wet. Next time i'll part the needles and once the weather dries off then pack the needles back on....In the fall I cover my whole garden in a thick mat and when its time to plant I just part the needles and plant. so so easy. I really hate weeding.

Latest posts