Funnel Butt Angus Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Because most angus around here have a scrawny butt, there is a derogatory term around here when any cow has a small backside, --she is said to have an "Angus A$$" . Not a compliment to most angus cattle. It doesn't have to be that way, but it seems the majority of breeders have bred in that direction.
Don't get me wrong, angus have some commendable attributes, but in general their butt isn't one of them.
That bull in the picture actually has a backside, and he doesn't look like a double muscled breed either. Shows an angus can look like an angus without being scrawny or looking like a black Limo.

Hang'n A Cattle Co":17pouz99 said:
I think the Angus breed chasing the high IMF scores (resulting in lighter muscled cattle) has a lot to do with it.
Hang'n A Cattle Co-

You are right! Check my post above on "Antagonistic Traits -etc."

DOC HARRIS

I agree that one of the biggests problem is chasing IMF and growth. The AAA needs a better criterion and I don't think the current ultrasound criteria on breeding animals is the correct choice. Right now they are breeding their bulls into steers instead of making bulls that make good steers. There is a significant difference. There should probably be a ribeye standard that is adjusted for weight and frame and a minimum standard ribeye score or something along these lines for breeding animals and more actual hanging steer carcass data for AI bulls.

They're not all funnel butts. His calves off of my Gelbvieh cows are real well muscled!

3waycross,
It is good to see someone out there breeding a decent animal.
If I took pictures around here , maybe 90% of the black angus bulls around here are scrawny butted, and their calves are scrawny butted. Big top heavy front ends, and little bitty "jersey" butts on them with no meat.
Where is the Angus assoc in all of this?

Nite Hawk":1y2593cd said:
3waycross,
It is good to see someone out there breeding a decent animal.
If I took pictures around here , maybe 90% of the black angus bulls around here are scrawny butted, and their calves are scrawny butted. Big top heavy front ends, and little bitty "jersey" butts on them with no meat.
Where is the Angus assoc in all of this?[/quote]

Doing what almost all assn's do. Collecting dues and spreading b2llshyt!

So it appears that the Assoc don't care about what the animals look like as long as Ma and Pa cattle have papers that say they are an Angus??
You would at least think they would have some sort of say /input in the angus breed shows and judges, which would trickle down to the breeders, unless they don't give a hoot as long as the $$ keep rolling in?
The Angus breed has good attributes, such as easy calving, maternal cows,good marbling, but the trait I really like is the will to live in the calves, they get up and fight to live as soon as they hit the ground. They are tough and will survive where others won't.
However, in this area a very high portion of Angus have been ruined due to the wicked temperment that breeders ignore and continue to breed, citing predator problems. Some places you don't dare even go in the pastures horseback they are that mean, and I am talking about cows not bulls. That and the lack of meat on their backside.
In my opinion if I have two cows that eat the same amount, and one will give me a 60- 70% cutability versus a 50%, which is going to put more $$ in the pocket?
I have seen beautiful angus cattle, but in this area they are rare, and there are plenty angus around.
Hopefully there will be a few folk out there that continue to breed quality animals and hope that the rediculous fads will fade away..

I don't think any assoc cares what your cattle look like and I wouldn't want them coming out telling me what my cattle should look like. im not in any way defending AAA because if you build up a couple of hundred the regional guy may stop by for a visit im only in it to keep the papers and maybe have something good enough to sell as registered.
As for shows there all just one persons opinion(and politics) as to what looks best to him or her on that day, if you look at the thread Angus in KC I didn't see an animal on there I wouldn't have.
There are good and bad in all breeds you can get on craigslist and prove that point in just a little bit and has there ever been the perfect animal that someone didn't like something about.

If they're gonna be unbalanced, I'd much prefer the shift be to the front third than the rear third. Few things worse than a tight hearted wedge shaped bull.

Many claim the buffalo look- heavy front end tapering to a smaller rear quarters indicates the more maternal bulls...
What has been described as a "buffalo" look- to me was always the true old "range bull" look...The emulation bulls probably have more of "the buffalo" look than any- but were touted by many as tops in maternal too..
Just some of the bulls thought of as being more maternal...

054.jpg

Rito 054 GDAR- argumentatively one of the top maternal bulls...

340.jpg

GDAR Rainmaker 340

376.jpg

Candolier Forever 376 (a double bred Forever of Wye)- shows up in many of the top maternal pedigrees

3330.jpg

CH Quantam 3330 (altho I like his son 6247- a double bred Shoshone Intent KGEA 27- even better)

shoshone_viking.jpg

Shoshone Viking GD60

Favour20of20Wye201.gif

Favour of Wye- thought by many Wye breeders to be one of the most maternal...

foundation.gif

F0203_Bull.jpg

Chuckie":30ki7b5p said:
3 Way Cross,
20 questions :) -17.
What is the breeding on your bull? How many cows do you have him with? How old is he?
He is a good looking bull.

"MY BULL" is a purebred Gelbvieh. The Angus bull in question belongs to my cow manager. Most years i AI my cows GV and then clean them up Angus but this year I AI'd a couple and then turned them out with a GV bull i own with Double V for some purebred heifers,

The Angus bull is New Design 036 on the top and is probably going to be collected this fall. He is a tremendous breeding bull. He moved up a first calver of mine 45 days this year. The best thing about him is he also PAP's good and so do his offspring. I would post his number but he is not mine.

BTW he is out with close to 50 cows and will have 9 more after i move mine over to him this week. I am out of grass and need to put my GV bull on the shelf for the rest of the summer and fall till he goes back to Missouri. It will be good for him to rest and gain some weight before he goes back to work for Double V in the fall!

Rowdy":18f8hxbn said:
Quantum is a great looking bull. No wonder he's Keeney bred.

Actually he was bred by John Hamilton- Cedar Hills Angus of Miles City Montana-- who was also the breeder of the Dixie Erica of CH 1019 cow (which is a foundation cow of the Ohlde herd and dam of OCC Emblazon 845E) and the Dixie Erica of C H 6180 cow ... A son of 3330- CH Quantum 6247 that was owned by Centennial Ranch, Culbertson MT, Cole Creek Angus Ranch, Joliet MT, and Hansen Registered Angus, Froid MT is just now showing his good maternal qualities mainly thru his use by the Cole Creek Ranch... But his semen is quite hard to get...

My young herd bull- Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X 16741353 has 6247 a few generations back on the maternal side- and I'm just starting to see what his daughters will do....

Hopefully in 10 years or so I can say he made some good cows too.... ;-)