fungus-ringworm

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recentley bought a dairy calf from a big dairy and he told me it had juvenial ringworm and it would go away and the rest of my stock would not get it. WRONG!! All of the herd has it now cows and calves. I have tried everything..antibiotics, fungisides, tinactin, iodine, and spraying the corrals with bleach. If anybody has any help please let me know. The cows utter from feeding the babies is horrible. Any help would be appreciated. They are out in the sun all day in Alaska I just need to get ahead of the battle.

[email protected]

theres not much you can do about it. just let it run its course and it will go away. you will have outbreaks from time to time (although the bleach may help some). unless you have a show or are trying to sell your stock soon its really not a big deal. keep an eye out and make sure that the cows with it on their bags are letting their calves nurse. you will probably have a few outbreaks from time to time now and you may eventually get ringworm too. otherwise its no biggie, just looks gross.

Most folks will say there's not a lot you can do about ringworm, but since it is contagious to other cattle, dog, cats, humans and any mammal, I try to do something about it.

It also stays in wooden corral posts, etc., for about 2 years.

There may be some better meds and/or treatments available today. I haven't had an outbreak for many years. The last time we dealt with it, the vet said we could either leave it alone and it would go away when the sun came out (this was wintertime). Or, we could brush the infected area twice a day with a stiff bristled scrub brush until the areas bled, then apply a strong bleach solution. I would hate to do that to a cow's udder, though.

I think there may be some oral meds out now for livestock. I know there are some oral fungicides out for humans. Ask a vet.

Good luck to you. I know this is hard to deal with. Just remember to be careful, as you can catch it, too.

> theres not much you can do about
> it. just let it run its course and
> it will go away. you will have
> outbreaks from time to time
> (although the bleach may help
> some). unless you have a show or
> are trying to sell your stock soon
> its really not a big deal. keep an
> eye out and make sure that the
> cows with it on their bags are
> letting their calves nurse. you
> will probably have a few outbreaks
> from time to time now and you may
> eventually get ringworm too.
> otherwise its no biggie, just
> looks gross.

We had an outbreak a year ago from a calf we brought home. We noticed it when it was in quarantine. We always quarantine our new animals, ususally for 2 to 4 weeks depending upon where they came from. It took months to get it under control in the 4 cows and 1 horse that got it. We kept all of these animals away from every other animal and went out several days a week scraping the scabs off COMPLETELY and then using vet strength iodine on the open sore. Iodine from WalMart and the Drugstore is not strong enough to be effective. The only thing that works well is persistance and consistency in dealing with the outbreak.

Best of luck.

[email protected]

Latest posts