Fungal Infection

Help Support CattleToday:

Flacowman

Reaction score
My new steer has a fungal infection similar to ringworm. I am using Captan on most of the spots and lamisil cream on a spot around his eye. Is this the best course or what else would y'all recommend? I have been showing for 9 years and thankfully never had this problem before.

There is a sulfur liquid you can get at the vet that works good. If it's a black calf with ringworms then we just paint in black with spray paint, works every time.

this might be a little embarressing for you since you are a cow 'man' but ...

go to the pharmacy and get an anti-fungal cream for ladies erm delicate bits :oops: its what I use ON MY CATTLE (thought I'd better clarify that :oops: ) and works like an absolute treat. Put it on thick.

just simple logic, really, figured a fungal-specific treatment would be the best bet. tried it once on ringworm and since then I've never used anything else. before that, I'd tried almost everything you could think of, this works out the cheapest and fastest.

make sure you isolate him from other calves, use his own brushes and halters on him, and not on anyone else, wear gloves when handling him and wash hands between calves. remember he can give it to you as well as the other calves. I got it from one of my steers once, annoying thing to deal with. and once the calf goes to slaughter disinfect his halter and brushes etc in bleach before using on another calf

of course, the above is only if you want to prevent the other calves getting it. not a big deal if you let them contract it, its usually something they grow out of by themselves anyway.

We have used monostat 7 for years. And yes my boys hated going to the pharmacy for it once they figured out what the normal human use was. But me and Mom thought it was funny! :banana:

Thanks...I'll buy some today and get it over with, lol. Some of the spots are already regrowing hair but two of them aren't so that's what I'll do. Thanks again.

Latest posts