Fun sale barn cow/calf surprises

Help Support CattleToday:

Part of the fun of buying sale barn cows, especially bred cows, is you never know what you'll get!!
This 4 yr old cow was called 7 months bred 2 weeks ago. Always fun to guess what bull bred the cow!

My buddy thinks charolais.
I'm not buying it. Calf is tiny. Like 60 lbs. And very dainty lil heifer.
If it had any kind of hump I'd think a brahma bull got her. But not enough ear.
Hmmmmmm
View attachment 25562View attachment 25563View attachment 25564View attachment 25565
His sire was one of those Char x Corrs that someone forgot to cut. This calf looks just like they do.

Neighbor breeds a lot of black cows to Charolais bulls. There are calves that look like that. Buying bred cows at the sale is like what old Forest Gump said about a box of chocolates....... you never know what you will get.

It's the black on top of her head huh? Can't check for horn buds. Mamas a bit high strung.... 😆
The size, for one. Its head shape another. If I had to guess, the sire was out of a Corr cow with that coat pattern, diluted by the Char. The bull probably looked a lot like this calve only lighter, and no black on it. She may end up making you one hell of a cow. she appears to be healthy, and looks like she might be a little spunky.

The size, for one. Its head shape another. If I had to guess, the sire was out of a Corr cow with that coat pattern, diluted by the Char. The bull probably looked a lot like this calve only lighter, and no black on it. She may end up making you one hell of a cow. she appears to be healthy, and looks like she might be a little spunky.
Yep! Shes a fiesty one!
Already running with the herd!

We will see whatvshe does. I still think she's gonna turn black/darken up.

I'm not saying Murry's mutt is half Jersey. It is unlikely anyone around there was using a Jersey bull on black cows. I just want to show the varieties of red and black that can come from a black Angus sire. Here was Daphne's first calf. That steer grew up and sold for almost$1000. Except for his spindlier legs he looked like a pure red Angus. Daphne's half Angus calves after that showed more and more dairy character and brought less and less, but I am showing the variety of coat colors. The blacker calves did blacken up like Murry says.

#1 Bisquit.JPG

This one got darker but still showed a lot of reddishness.
#3 Chocolate.jpg

This one blackened up but showed a tinge of red around the ears.
#2 Burnt Bisquit.JPG

This heifer had a tinge of red too. I tried to make a milk cow out of her, but she had the Scottish (Angus) disposition.
#4 Lill.jpg

This one born black as the ace of spades and stayed that way.

#5 Calfus Colosus.JPG

Another heifer calf with a tinge of red. Look how she turned out. She didn't make a milk cow either. I sold her for a beef brood cow across the road.
100_1977 (1).JPG
Blackie.JPG

This heifer was sired by a really good looking black Angus bull. Turns out his mother was a Smokie. He was 1/4 Charolaise and look how that hooked up.
#7 Honey.JPG
100_2028.JPG

This is NOT a fun sale barn surprise. Bought at a fancy bred cow sale. I do not have the papers and it's not my cow. My friends cow.
This cow I really really liked. I had plans of talking him out of her next month. From what I can tell, just a stillborn. I really don't know and wasn't gonna get killed today. Funny, she's the gentlest girl over there too!
20230315_183433.jpg20230315_183328.jpg
If we can get her caught this weekend, I've got a super aggressive nursing steer we may try....

This is NOT a fun sale barn surprise. Bought at a fancy bred cow sale. I do not have the papers and it's not my cow. My friends cow.
This cow I really really liked. I had plans of talking him out of her next month. From what I can tell, just a stillborn. I really don't know and wasn't gonna get killed today. Funny, she's the gentlest girl over there too!
View attachment 27671View attachment 27672
If we can get her caught this weekend, I've got a super aggressive nursing steer we may try....
Curly calf syndrome?

Almost looks like a really malformed calf. Lucky she delivered ok.

Curly calf syndrome?
I don't know the cow. My plan is to try and check the calf tomorrow for abnormality. She SEEMED like she was ready for a fight. Super gentle cow beforehand. Wasn't gonna risk it with no other people with me. At first I thought maybe she was licking it trying to get it up and balled it up. But pictures seem otherwise

I'll update tmrw evening!

Definitely not a charolais.

To me, the cow looks like she could have a bit of braunvieh in her. The silver legs on the calf does seem consistent with the black braunvieh crosses I've seen, so that is my guess as to where the funny color came from
I was going to say Braunvieh too…reminds me of a neighbour's calves and this is the breed he has. Nice cattle so a lucky catch😊

Well, I didn't get back over there til tonight. Dead calf is completely gone. Without a trace!! No bones no blood. No nothing. Just a spot in the grass mostly naked.
I really wanted to examine it a lil closer.
With the new babies I got yesterday it took all my evening time away.
Sorry guys.

With any luck I'll have something kool happen tmrw. Several are close....

Latest posts