Fun sale barn cow/calf surprises

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Part of the fun of buying sale barn cows, especially bred cows, is you never know what you'll get!!
This 4 yr old cow was called 7 months bred 2 weeks ago. Always fun to guess what bull bred the cow!

My buddy thinks charolais.
I'm not buying it. Calf is tiny. Like 60 lbs. And very dainty lil heifer.
If it had any kind of hump I'd think a brahma bull got her. But not enough ear.
Hmmmmmm
20230129_114001.jpg20230129_113559.jpg20230129_113553.jpg20230129_113218.jpg

That's a good looking sale barn cow
It's actually my friends cow. There was 3 or 4 more just like her that they called 8 months bred. He didn't buy em because he didn't want to deal with calving in February! 🤣🤣🤣

I got an idea he would have 4 pairs now

Edited to add..
These were from an estate sell off. Sadly, like so many other family farms, no one wants to continue the legacy.

It's actually my friends cow. There was 3 or 4 more just like her that they called 8 months bred. He didn't buy em because he didn't want to deal with calving in February! 🤣🤣🤣

I got an idea he would have 4 pairs now

Edited to add..
These were from an estate sell off. Sadly, like so many other family farms, no one wants to continue the legacy.
Last year was tough on a lot of people out west. Hopefully the market was up when they sold.

Half Angus half Char in SW Oregon are known as Smokies. They are light greyish. Could she be part Red Angus? Seems like people like Angus a lot these days

Half Angus half Char in SW Oregon are known as Smokies. They are light greyish. Could she be part Red Angus? Seems like people like Angus a lot these days
There was no color in the rest of the animals they sold that day. But I can't remember if they sold a bull or not. The other cows were all black and all fairly same in type.

Perhaps the calf maybe being a bit early has something to do with it, idk. She definitely could've stayed in there another week or so

A simmental bull w the dulluter gene. Is my guess. I love them myself.

Do gelbveih have gray/chocolate dilluter genes? The dark top and gray bottom is different though than the dilluters I've calved here. Nice cal though man. Nice cow too.

How long do you keep them? Take to weaning, sell as three in one's? Sell pairs in a couple months? I'm curious.

Last edited:
I bought a member on here several cows last fall to slaughter in January. All should have been open. Part even were checked open by a vet. He just told me 4 have had calves.
Very nice calves though. ☺ . Glad to have them. Nice cows too. Before they calved, I was thinking it was a shame to beef them.

A Murray Grey do will give you that color. I used a bull one year that was Black Angus, with a
little bit of Red Limousin in him, and all his calves had that mousey color, noticeably lighter
colored on the inside of the legs.

A simmental bull w the dulluter gene. Is my guess. I love them myself.

Do gelbveih have gray/chocolate dilluter genes? The dark top and gray bottom is different though than the dilluters I've calved here. Nice cal though man. Nice cow too.

How long do you keep them? Take to weaning, sell as three in one's? Sell pairs in a couple months? I'm curious.
This group, the plan is to sell no later than end of April. Feeding hay and cubes. Then we are gonna sell all the sale barn bought cows. Most were bought as short bred 3 year olds to sell as heavy bred. Tho some of the short bred cows are already springing!
So there will be some pairs for sure.
They will be with the bull til April as well.

Hoping to make a nickel or two anyway. The way the market is looking, as long as they do their job, should be golden. (NO HEIFERS all young bred cows)

This group, the plan is to sell no later than end of April. Feeding hay and cubes. Then we are gonna sell all the sale barn bought cows. Most were bought as short bred 3 year olds to sell as heavy bred. Tho some of the short bred cows are already springing!
So there will be some pairs for sure.
They will be with the bull til April as well.

Hoping to make a nickel or two anyway. The way the market is looking, as long as they do their job, should be golden. (NO HEIFERS all young bred cows)
Should be GOLDEN too!

Latest posts