full udder`

Help Support CattleToday:

cattletom

Reaction score
i have a 5 yr old angus cow with a 7 month old heifer /we are fixing to wean the heifer but i noticed yesterday that the cows udder was super full, it was larger than i have ever seen. she was dripping milk from some of the teats. at one time during theday the heifer was trying to milk but she wouldnt let her. is the large udder normal or does she need some type of shot to dry her up.

tommy

She'll dry up on her own. I say that with the caveat the 99.999% of them will with no problems. If she's really milking heavy she could get congestion in her udder as she is drying up and her udder will be very sensitive for a while because of the pressure. Let her dry up on her own then check her udder as best you can without expressing any fluids to insure that she doesn't have a problem.

dun

cattletom":3ubzmmxw said:
i have a 5 yr old angus cow with a 7 month old heifer /we are fixing to wean the heifer but i noticed yesterday that the cows udder was super full, it was larger than i have ever seen. she was dripping milk from some of the teats. at one time during theday the heifer was trying to milk but she wouldnt let her. is the large udder normal or does she need some type of shot to dry her up.

tommy

Latest posts