Full Care for Pairs through the summer

Help Support CattleToday:

AirWyo

Reaction score
Just throwing out an idea/discussion topic…what is everyone's top price they will pay for full care on a summer lease for pairs? A few other factors, let's just say this is in Eastern Wyoming, great fences, great water situation for the cattle. The reason I ask I recently saw someone pay $90 a month for pairs. Is that really where the market for that is headed?

I don't know how to make that pencil. Wintering costs are running $3 a day this year. That much year around? You would have to get 2014 prices on calves to come out.

I am giving .75 per day and I thought it was a little high. Most arrangements I know of are a dollar a day, and that just covers grass, fence, and water. If you want them checked every day, it's more.
You wouldn't find anything that cheap in my neck of the woods. Most arrangements I hear of are $1.00 a day, and that only includes grass, fence, and water.

I've heard, and feel free to correct me, but if you can winter on cornstalks (especially your own) it is cheap enough that you can pay $2+ a day in the summer.

A guy close to me does that and that is just about what he gets. But how can you pay .75/day and make any profit on the calves?
I'm only keeping them there from May 15 until October 1. It includes all minerals and fly control. I don't even see them unless I just want to stop by. I'm using it as a way to reduce the number on my pasture and try to get through the winter with a minimum of hay. Not sure if it's profitable but I don't think .75 a day for a cow and calf pair is terrible. Plus no charge for the bull.

Latest posts