full blood- pure blood

Help Support CattleToday:

The terminology never made sense to me. pureblood is bred up from some other breed, fullblood is pure with no other breed mixed in. Typically it takes 7/8 or more to be considered pureblood.

dun

> I am trying to understand the
> difference between a full blood
> Braunvieh and a pure blood? Just
> what exactly is the difference?
> Thanks

Probably NO difference, depending upon how the terms are being used. Pureblood and fullblood are often the same. Purebred usually connotates being "bred up" from a different breed through an "up-breeding" process, while pure and/or fullblood usually indicates an animal that is of 100% of the breed in question. In Braunvieh, the 100% animals were either imported from Europe and/or breed from animals that were imported at one time, rather than crossed on different breeds.

> I am trying to understand the
> difference between a full blood
> Braunvieh and a pure blood? Just
> what exactly is the difference?
> Thanks

> The terminology never made sense
> to me. pureblood is bred up from
> some other breed, fullblood is
> pure with no other breed mixed in.
> Typically it takes 7/8 or more to
> be considered pureblood.

> dun

Typically 7/8 in Females and 15/16 on males but I think it should be at least 15/16 on females and 31/32 on Males. You know why I bought 2 Limousin registered Puerbred Bulls in Central Texas, and I bred them to my PB cows(at least 31/32) and I get in one cow had a calf with WHITE color in his chest and back. I'm now using these Bulls with my commercial herd. Now I only use french semen with all my cows (FB or PB).

[email protected]

Latest posts