Full Blood Chianina Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

choward2955jd

Reaction score
Just wandering if anyone on this site has used or raise Full Blood Chianina Cattle? If so please reply to this topic. I am trying to put together a herd of Full Blood Chianina Cattle at my farm in Kentucky. I currently have 14 head of Full blood cattle but my goal is to get to 25 head.
Let me know your opinion or thoughts on the breed good or bad does not matter all opinions are worth reading and thinking about. I know they dont have the best reputation but some of that is due to poor handling by people.
Thanks
Chris Howard
Full Blood Chianina Breeder

Had a fullblood back in the 80's raising club calves...Chi crossed with Angus.. Those mommas were bred to a moderate framed fullblood Limousin. Had all the buyers I needed at the time. The heifers made good replacements for our markets here at the time.
Wouldnt work now cause those calves were too big for todays maket.. You still see some black Chi today because, those Chi's really clean up the underlines on cattle. I purchased the bull from Mize or Mise...cant remember the spelling its been too many years ago and Miller Lites.

Is there a market for them today, no I dont think so....Just too damn big

Not to be pointing fingers, but today's popular breeds seem to have been influenced. Check the structures.

Chi has a place and a need but it does not have much market. There's a reason.

There was a herd over on Chalk Mountain here west of me a few years back. Don't know if it still exists.

Just my opinion, but I think that boat has sailed.
You should have been here 30 years ago.

Chianina sure had an impact in the '80s when folks were trying to increase frame size all out of reasonable proportion, but other than the 'club-calf' arena, where Chi-influenced Maine/Angus/Shorthorn/Simmental mixtures still abound (isn't Monopoly something like 7% Chi?), I don't see Chianina making any significant inroads in market share in the commercial beef world.

Yeah, and from some of the full/purebred Chi bulls I saw back in the mid-80s, I have no doubt that they did increase frame size several scores in one generation - and cut milk production equally.
Don't think I ever worked on a Chi/ChiAngus that didn't kick the crap out of me - and with those legs, they can reach you even if you're standing a pretty good way away from 'em.
None for me, thank you; I'd go back to breeding Brahman-influenced cattle first.

Latest posts