Fuel

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Though American drivers are feeling pinched, consumers in some parts of the world would consider U.S. gasoline cheap. Thanks to heavy taxes, European drivers pay much more. In Norway, prices recently toped $7 a gallon. Taxes can make up more than two-thirds of the pump price in some European countries.

But drivers in some Asian and Middle Eastern countries get off easier at the pump -- thanks to heavy government subsidies that keep gasoline below world market prices. In Iraq, where you'll find the world's cheapest gasoline, you can top off for as little as 5 cents a gallon, according to a recent report by the International Monetary Fund. Last year, the Iraqi government spent some $3 billion on gasoline subsidies, an expenditure the IMF says threatens the country's fragile Iraqi economy.

Other countries that subsidize gasoline have gradually begun lifting prices. China raised prices by 4.5 percent in June to $1.63 a gallon. India also raised retail gasoline and diesel prices in June, the first increase since last November.

We're paying almost 3.00 a gallon while they are only paying 5 cents a gallon, this makes me sick!!

CopeMan":32epsbs7 said:
We're paying almost 3.00 a gallon while they are only paying 5 cents a gallon, this makes me sick!!
not trying to defend anybody but you have to look at it differnetly. some of it has to do with the fact that they are in an oil rich land and they kinda control the oil I guess you could say. but it is also a cost of living type issue. I can make more money in my field if I moved to Dallas Tx. but with the increase in wages I would pay more in expenses if I lived their. don't waste your time worring about gas prices, just be glad you live in a place like America. Our $3.00 is probably equal to their 5 cents. hope that all made sense. :D

j,

You are right. But, many folks see this as another terriorist attack...alibeit an economics one. The wall street analysts can't seem to reach a concensus on why it is happening. There are projections of $5.00 per gallon within 18 months. All of us could cut out 15-20% of our petrolum use with just a little planning..I guess.

What I don't understand is with all the lives..money and effort we are putting in Iraq..shouldn't we get some favored nation treatment from their 25% of the known world oil reserves under their sand pile? Not to mention why we don't have an agreement for them to pay us back when the oil gets flowing good. In addition, we will no doubt apply a ...Marshall plan...concept when we leave which will cost us 100s of billions more. On top of that I can't see better than a 25% chance that the democratic goverment we hope to establsh will succeed for very long.

Not a pretty scene.

My dad said today he should ride a horse into town and go through McDonalds and do his errands to make a statement.

Susie David":17ie96gt said:
Sort of makes a fella wonder, especially with a Oil Man in the White House....
again I'm not tryin' to defend anyone but are you implying :oops: that President Bush is in this war to line his own pockets? :x May I remind you that the United States Congress voted for this war. Our President did not go it alone like you hear from the liberally biased media. I guess now I am defending President Bush. :mad: I would like to know what you think the reason was for Clinton to bomb Iraq? Don't you remember he bombed Iraq on Wednesday, December 16, 1998 on the eve of the impeachment vote. I am sorry but it really bugs me when people criticize someone about something they obviously know little about. Susie David do you think you could do a better job givin the circumstances? What would you have done?
I have a friend in the Marines, he has been to Iraq, as a matter of fact, he was one of the many that was there when we took Baghdad. He is back now and just seven short weeks ago he and his wife had a healthy baby boy. Jason is scheduled to go back in Sept. and last night when I questioned him about it he said, " :D I'm going back, it hasn't settled down over there and we have a job to finish, we are doing the right thing over there and I'll go back, thats not a problem". Well needless to say I owe Jason more than he will ever know, I have a 3 yr old little girl and just the thought of leaving her to go there is beyond me. He knows why we are there, he has seen it first hand, and knows more about it than most of us. Sorry for getting so far off subject but this really hit a nerve after visting with him and his family last night. If our Militray is made up of men and women like him, then I promise all of us can sleep peacefully tonight.

A6gal":10rlb9ap said:
Susie David;

All I want to add is AMEN! and PREACH ON!
So why do you think Clinton bombed Iraq? He is not an oil man too is he?

J,

Sorry, that AMEN and PREACH on was meant for you!

Read the post wrong. I better get out those reading glasses (that I don't really need).

A6gal":1zpqgnpu said:
J,

Sorry, that AMEN and PREACH on was meant for you!

Read the post wrong. I better get out those reading glasses (that I don't really need).
You had me a little worried there for a minute A6gal

J,

No need to worry bout me, although I'd probably be better off staying away from political posts.

However, I too get a little emotional over the situation. My son leaves for bootcamp in late September. A friend of his (a marine) was killed in Faluja in December. He was only 19. Can't imagine the pain his family endures, but they are very proud of their son and knowing he believed in what he was doing in Iraq they are still supportive of President Bush. From what I hear most that come back from Iraq believe strongly in what they are doing there and are eager to get back and finish the job. The media seems to post all the negative and none of the positive that is being done there.

Back to fuel prices, I know I take too many things for granted and am sometimes even wasteful. Higher fuel prices have made me look at how I might be a little better steward of what I have. I will start a 4 day 10 hour a day work week next week, saving me a day of driving 40+ miles. I don't just hop in the truck and run to town for a bag of ice, gallon of milk etc. now when I would before.

My son was home last weekend and I asked him about gas prices where he's working, he said it was about 2.90+ a gallon. Surprised, I told him I thought regular unleaded would be cheaper since he's close to all those rifinerys on the coast. He said, he wasn't sure about that since he'd been filling up with the super unleaded! Needless to say I put a stop to that since he uses my credit card and he drives a 1989 Chevy S-10! I don't think it needs the premium unleaded!

A6gal":1fyxnx54 said:
J,

No need to worry bout me, although I'd probably be better off staying away from political posts.

However, I too get a little emotional over the situation. My son leaves for bootcamp in late September. A friend of his (a marine) was killed in Faluja in December. He was only 19. Can't imagine the pain his family endures, but they are very proud of their son and knowing he believed in what he was doing in Iraq they are still supportive of President Bush. From what I hear most that come back from Iraq believe strongly in what they are doing there and are eager to get back and finish the job. The media seems to post all the negative and none of the positive that is being done there.
Tell your son I said THANK YOU. (& thank you too)

Tell your son I said THANK YOU. (& thank you too)

I'll certainly pass along the THANK YOU to my son. However, he is going into the Air Force as a carrier crew chief so he won't be in harms way like many are. As for me, no thanks due. It's easy being a proud mamma, proud Texan, and last but never least a proud American.

preston39":1l91zyk4 said:
Good luck to your son. The AF is the best place to be during a war.

Reassuring words to a mom whose baby boy is flying the nest.

PS: Don't let him know I called him that (baby boy). He wouldn't appreciate it! :lol:

preston39":9emq49u4 said:
A6gal,
Good luck to your son. The AF is the best place to be during a war.

I don't know about that. My son is in the Air Force but is assigned to the Rangers. Been on the ground in all his trips to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Chris

To all with sons and daughters in the military. Tell them a total stranger ask you to pass on to them " thanks for making this a safer place to raise my children"

Bama":3i3citxk said:
To all with sons and daughters in the military. Tell them a total stranger ask you to pass on to them " thanks for making this a safer place to raise my children"

I'll second that, but include their husbands/wifes that are at home surviving the toughest job in the military. The wife/husband that keeps the homefires squared away so the one that is deployed can tend to the job at hand and not worry (too much) about home.

dun

Latest posts