Fuel storage.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install three tanks.
Two five hundred gallon diesel tanks and a three hundred gallon gas. I plan to out all three together on a four inch thick concrete slab in overhead stands.
Vehicles will not be on the concrete but gravel beside it.
Distance from house is about 150 feet.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice on that.

Just remember one gallon gasoline vaporized has the explosive value of 8 to 10 sticks of dynamite.
Secondly you better read up on all TCEQ regulation on fuel oil and gasoline storage.
I don't remember the maximum tank size I have been out of the game a decade.
I remember something about a 1000 gallons having to have a vapor recovery system.
You have to have retaining walls as well for x number of gallons.

Why not put on the ground with a electric pump instead of gravity fed? A simple berm around the whole thing is probably worth the trouble, just in case.

ddd75":1ie1whzp said:
a camera if its not behind a gate.

Three gates and 3/4 mile. Theft is not a problem.

I've heard of the possibility of retaining walls required to contain spills. I see plenty that don't have them. Mine being completely out of sight I can only see a problem coming from maybe a delivery driver.. don't you think

bird dog":1ie1whzp said:
Why not put on the ground with a electric pump instead of gravity fed? A simple berm around the whole thing is probably worth the trouble, just in case.

I actually have the tanks on skids. It would sure be a great option. What about pumping gasoline. There has to be some safety concerns????

I wouldn't think pumping gasoline would be any different than pumping at the gas station. I only have a diesel tank and run my pump off a lawnmower battery just because its simple to hookup.
Gravity flow is just to darn slow for me.

Are you wanting it to buy tax free gasoline for your welders?

bird dog":3qysy5xj said:
I wouldn't think pumping gasoline would be any different than pumping at the gas station. I only have a diesel tank and run my pump off a lawnmower battery just because its simple to hookup.

Lot different better be properly grounded especially with an above ground vented tank.
The flashpoint of gasoline can be as low as 45 degrees. Three hundred gallons makes quite a boom.
We had two barrels in vapor stage go boom at Texas City it registered on the Richter scale. That is 104 gallons.

bird dog":233kdqm3 said:

No we plan to pay taxes on the gas.
500 of clear diesel for trucks

500 of red diesel for equipment.

bbirder":1qp9x722 said:
You should talk to the distributor who will deliver the fuel to you. He should be up to date on all regulations required. If not, you should consider another distributor.

Lord help him if he is in one of the 12 non attainment counties in Texas.
That is a whole nuther ball game.

bbirder":19dvf4gk said:
You should talk to the distributor who will deliver the fuel to you. He should be up to date on all regulations required. If not, you should consider another distributor.

Done
A farm or residential tank under 1000
Gallon's is exempt from regulations. They will gladly bring the fuel.
I just don't wanna blow the house ,shop and barn down.

Some states require a been large enough to catch the entire tank in case of rupture. Also consider the weight when you pour the concrete. Diesel 7.3 pounds per gallon. Gas 6.3 I think.

Will they fill overhead tanks there? No one will here anymore.
Put your gas under a roof or underground.
I have several tanks for transport loads of Diesle and a thousand gallon gas tank.
"Here" the fuel suppliers will provide tanks and pumps but I do my own so I can buy where I want.
Be sure and use Gasoline rated equipment. Be sure your hose has a static wire. Especially in your dry environment.
Oh, use 10 micron filters with water shutdown too.
At least as the last filter. Can go bigger in the first stage.
Our tractors use 2 micron filters.

I have a 300 gallon above ground for gas at my house and I have never had any issues. I ran a vent pipe up 12 feet above the tank. It sure is nice having fuel and not having to run to the gas station all the time.

northcreek":3718yysv said:
I have a 300 gallon above ground for gas at my house and I have never had any issues. I ran a vent pipe up 12 feet above the tank. It sure is nice having fuel and not having to run to the gas station all the time.

How many gallons are you buying a year and venting to atmosphere.
The cost per gallon can climb really fast along with gum formations in open vented tanks.

Caustic Burno":3exdcvkl said:
bird dog":3exdcvkl said:

We had two barrels in vapor stage go boom at Texas City it registered on the Richter scale. That is 104 gallons.

I still remember hearing the boom from the Ammonium Nitrate ship explosion there in '46 that nearly leveled the town. I was living in Pasadena....heard the boom on a Saturday and on Sunday's news paper, I remember crawling up in bed with daddy where he was reading the Houston Post front page article.

Latest posts