Fuel prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Alberta farmer

Reaction score
Just wondering how people see fuel prices playing out? Oil got up to $46 on Friday...quite a jump from the week before? They say it is because of the problems in Gaza.
In Alberta, or at least my part of it, drilling is slowing down. That might be partly due to the province changing the royalty structure, but also due to the low natural gas price. Some tarsands projects are being put on hold.
I suspect we have about 6 months to a year of low prices and then it will be "Katie bar the door!". Watched an oil analyst on BNN talking about the situation and he said these low prices are killing any exploration and new production, and once the world economy starts to recovery there will be a real shortage and prices will rise to unheard of levels.
President elect Obama had a press release the other day where he said the stimulus package would encourage alternate energy and stated our future energy will not come from the oil fields but the farm fields! If he means more biofuel what will this do to livestock feed prices? Will the day come when we will be selling grass fattened cattle and corn fed will be a thing of the past?
Of course if the middle east blows up all bets are off and we could see disasterous fuel prices real quick. What do you think?

Gaza doesn't have oil, so that excuse doesn't fly.
If the Arabs try to use oil as a political weapon, well, they need the $ as much as we need the oil. OPEC isn't very potent these days.

The experts say prices will be up by summer. The fertilizer plants got to have some excuse for jacking up the price this year again-don't U know?

GMN

On the news the other night they were talking about the rising oil prices, and according to that reporter it was because of the stock market going down. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just a couple months ago that the oil prices came down because the stock market was going down? It seems that they can't get their lies straight, or maybe they just don't know why things like this happen, so they just make stories up to make themselves look smarter. Reminds me of some of the posters on this board. :D Maybe they should just shut their mouths for a while and just let things happen.

Well I was asking what people thought because I'm trying to decide whether I should lock in a price now for 2009 or go with the flow? Pretty sure I'm going to lock in. It worked out pretty good last year.
I know Gaza hasn't got any oil but the instability it is creating in the region sure makes sense? If Syria or Iran decided to come to the party it could sure blow up real quick?
I think OPEC still has a lot of clout. America does get a lot of oil from the mideast...a lot of oil! If the gulf gets closed down due to a war the US is going to be in a lot of trouble...that is just a fact.

if the fuel prices get up to $4 or $5 a gal agaibn.youll see people cut their driving way back again.thus causing the oil prices to level back off again.we havent seen $1.50 gas in along time.when oil bottomed out every though gas would stop at $3 a gal.but it kept falling.

john250":2lmnkr6h said:
If the Arabs try to use oil as a political weapon, well, they need the $ as much as we need the oil. OPEC isn't very potent these days.

Gaza doesn't have oil, but you know speculators are going nuts with this latest "crisis". It won't stop the prices from increasing "just because they can". I don't watch the news except when forced to do so. I was wondering why I paid 1.55 yesterday when I was paying 1.41 for it last week. I like cheap gas as well as the next gal, believe me, but when the prices start getting lower than they have been in ten years, you have to believe that folks are just going to go back to their old ways and the whole "alternative energy" thing will lose momentum.

I have not listened to a single word our new President has said. Like I said, I avoid the news. Want to know what the weather is doing? Go outside.

GMN":3fu96b6m said:
The experts say prices will be up by summer. The fertilizer plants got to have some excuse for jacking up the price this year again-don't U know?

GMN

GMN..phosphate is down about $450 a ton from last year....Others should be coming down as well. Might be a little relief in sight.

Lammie":om8cvuj4 said:
john250":om8cvuj4 said:

Gaza doesn't have oil, but you know speculators are going nuts with this latest "crisis". It won't stop the prices from increasing "just because they can". I don't watch the news except when forced to do so. I was wondering why I paid 1.55 yesterday when I was paying 1.41 for it last week. I like cheap gas as well as the next gal, believe me, but when the prices start getting lower than they have been in ten years, you have to believe that folks are just going to go back to their old ways and the whole "alternative energy" thing will lose momentum.

I have not listened to a single word our new President has said. Like I said, I avoid the news. Want to know what the weather is doing? Go outside.

When anyone sneezes in the middle east, the oil markets catch cold. Gas went up $.20 here.

TexasBred":3vs48pjo said:
Gas went up from $1.399 last Thursday to $1.559 today. I'm sure diesel followed along with it.
And that's a gallon, I though 71 cents a liter was cheap.. :roll: I think we are going to buy our fertilizer soon to get the lower prices ,if they have any in stock..

hillsdown":17ypa0up said:
TexasBred":17ypa0up said:
Gas went up from $1.399 last Thursday to $1.559 today. I'm sure diesel followed along with it.
And that's a gallon, I though 71 cents a liter was cheap.. :roll: I think we are going to buy our fertilizer soon to get the lower prices ,if they have any in stock..
goodluck with that HD around here they won't let you prepay or should say you can prepay but they are going off of the $ amount not tonnage so if it is $500 a ton now and when ya pick it up and it is $750 per ton you get less tonnage

Alberta farmer":1pzov8ne said:
Well I was asking what people thought because I'm trying to decide whether I should lock in a price now for 2009 or go with the flow? Pretty sure I'm going to lock in. It worked out pretty good last year.
I know Gaza hasn't got any oil but the instability it is creating in the region sure makes sense? If Syria or Iran decided to come to the party it could sure blow up real quick?
I think OPEC still has a lot of clout. America does get a lot of oil from the mideast...a lot of oil! If the gulf gets closed down due to a war the US is going to be in a lot of trouble...that is just a fact.

Had my diesel tanks topped off today. $1.675/gallon Hasn't been that cheap in years.

GMN":28z4i2e8 said:

GMN

Cows haven't started charging more for manure!!.. Unlike politicians

Angus Cowman":38ukh4eu said:
hillsdown":38ukh4eu said:
TexasBred":38ukh4eu said:
goodluck with that HD around here they won't let you prepay or should say you can prepay but they are going off of the $ amount not tonnage so if it is $500 a ton now and when ya pick it up and it is $750 per ton you get less tonnage

That is what I am afraid of ,they screw you anyway they can.. :( We use manure on the fields ,but when we seed we mix in fertilizer with the seed.

I haven't seen fuel this cheap in years! It is great for the ones driving around, not so great for those wanting to go back to their rigs.... :roll:

The fertilizer market is very volatile...isn't it?

Alot of people are just
hangin.gif
...not sure what to do...

Filled up the bulk tank yesterday with dyed deisel. Worked out to 68 cents/liter without the GST...which we get back anyway. That is $2.63 a US gallon in Canadian money. Would be $2.21 American. We get to pay more taxes in Canada.

I filled all my tanks on Monday. 400 off road and 950 on road. I use more on road diesel then off road diesel most of the year. Now that there full again I'll buy it at a store or use my pump depending on cost. If fuel is cheaper in town I will buy there and pump back into the bulk tank if not just use the tank. I should not need to do a bulk refill until August. I paid $2.019 for bulk on road.

IMO cost of oil dropped because they were making to much money and had to drop it because of the government. Now that it's a new year it will go back up so they make a nest egg for the year and will stay high for a while. They will use anything to up the cost on us because they think we don't know better. Oil is biased of supply and demand; who is 100% sure they know what sets the price. If they want the price to go up then they don't buy for a few days then they all buy oil and now the demand is to high so the price goes back up because what happened…

If I'm thinking back words let me know.

Latest posts