Fuel prices

Help Support CattleToday:

well said burno. we have taken on the role of taking care of others an forgotten about ourselves. an its kicking us in the butt. i think every tractor made is foreign made now. scott

Anyone who suggests we cant build a bio-diesel refinery in each state/region and produce enough grain to feed it thereby producing enough energy to impact/control petrolum import costs does not know the American farmer or industrialists.

We can and will do it. We are NOT currently using the optimum available land resources. We are bringing...i believe... 3 new plants on line this year...one in NC...we could be bringing 1 or 2 in each state/region on line in the time it takes to build them if we made it a dedicated commmitment. One of the drawbacks in the process was that the residue was useless. Recently, a new process was touted which would allow the residue to be used as animal feed. A big step forward for our scientific world. 8)

We will have no choice...less our economy be/badly bent/broken. :shock:

preston39":1vsti6dc said:
Anyone who suggests we cant build a bio-diesel refinery in each state/region and produce enough grain to feed it thereby producing enough energy to impact/control petrolum import costs does not know the American farmer or industrialists.

We can and will do it. We are NOT currently using the optimum available land resources. We are bringing...i believe... 3 new plants on line this year...one in NC...we could be bringing 1 or 2 in each state/region on line in the time it takes to build them if we made it a dedicated commmitment. One of the drawbacks in the process was that the residue was useless. Recently, a new process was touted which would allow the residue to be used as animal feed. A big step forward for our scientific world. 8)

Your an idoit plan and simple it just not that easy when it comes to economics. Ok lets build bio facalities and crush the oil industry or whats left. Now we have a drought and you are in deep crap you gonna eat or drive, you don't have a oil industry to fall back on as they are foriegn owned, and are going to move sell there products to China India to fastest growing populations in the world and a more favorable operating enviroment without the EPA .

PS go back to Europe and enjoy there energy prices. The Germans tried boi fuels in world war 2 if they were practical don't you think they would be using it versus 5 to 6 dollars a gallon.

If you want cheap fuel get the EPA off the industry so it is economical to build new refineries in this country instead of China and Saudi. The Saudis just love shipping that gasoline into Henry Hub New York.

mr. preston i cant hardly believe you wrote that. sorry but i think your just dreaming. really really dreaming!! hopelessly naive on this subject.

TUCO":1ny6s2h6 said:
mr. preston i cant hardly believe you wrote that. sorry but i think your just dreaming. really really dreaming!! hopelessly naive on this subject.
Come on Boy's.What do you expect? He's more full of hot air than a Hog with a pack of Curr dogs on his tail.

Campground Cattle":ym6dtugg said:
preston39":ym6dtugg said:

Your an idoit plan and simple it just not that easy when it comes to economics. Ok lets build bio facalities and crush the oil industry or whats left. Now we have a drought and you are in deep crap you gonna eat or drive, you don't have a oil industry to fall back on as they are foriegn owned, and are going to move sell there products to China India to fastest growing populations in the world and a more favorable operating enviroment without the EPA .

PS go back to Europe and enjoy there energy prices. The Germans tried boi fuels in world war 2 if they were practical don't you think they would be using it versus 5 to 6 dollars a gallon.

If you want cheap fuel get the EPA off the industry so it is economical to build new refineries in this country instead of China and Saudi. The Saudis just love shipping that gasoline into Henry Hub New York.
============
Plain and simple ....you have demonsrated why you use the word...you don't know how to spell idiot. :shock:

Thats not what I said at all.

Can't you read? We know you can't spell...and obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

You can build all the refineries you want but you got to have have raw materials to refine. Did you forget to put that in your post or is it that you just just don't understand statistics of availability. While you are figuring out the numbers also get up to date.... we have technoogy that didn't exists 20 years ago...let alone in the 40's. :roll:

Preston does the process use a fallopian tube to create the Bio?

Instead of crying over the price of fuel, why not focus on ways to reduce the amount, we do use in our operations.

IMHOs the real costs

in this farming game...chemicals, fertilizer

Wewild":1c9l01x6 said:
frenchie":1c9l01x6 said:

Here it would be taxes and hay.

Actually, I'll vote with Frenchie.
Chemical and fertilizer get my pocket pretty good

frenchie":kym0bgqg said:
Wewild":kym0bgqg said:

Taxes are not fun here either.

Is that making hay thats the cost for you or the buying of it.

We get the hay for $14 dollars a bale on our land. It is the next largest expense we have. Chicken litter may run it up another $1 or 2 or 3 per bale.

Wewild":29r3g8bu said:
We get the hay for $14 dollars a bale on our land. It is the next largest expense we have. Chicken litter may run it up another $1 or 2 or 3 per bale.

That don,t sound too bad unless thems small round bales.

They cut /rake and bale for 14?

Muratic":1fermvsp said:
Wewild":1fermvsp said:
frenchie":1fermvsp said:

Actually, I'll vote with Frenchie.
Chemical and fertilizer get my pocket pretty good

We don't row crop anymore. All we do is beef.

frenchie":3g0k323t said:
Wewild":3g0k323t said:

That don,t sound too bad unless thems small round bales.

They cut /rake and bale for 14?

It's a 4X5 of mostly fescue on the first cutting which was enough this year. Second cutting would be heavy with Johnson grass. Still it is a major expense for us. We try to carry 4 bales per head every winter in case they need it.

preston39":1s52o98h said:
Campground Cattle":1s52o98h said:
preston39":1s52o98h said:

============
Plain and simple ....you have demonsrated why you use the word...you don't know how to spell idiot. :shock:

Thats not what I said at all.

Can't you read? We know you can't spell...and obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

You can build all the refineries you want but you got to have have raw materials to refine. Did you forget to put that in your post or is it that you just just don't understand statistics of availability. While you are figuring out the numbers also get up to date.... we have technoogy that didn't exists 20 years ago...let alone in the 40's. :roll:

Yes Preston I can read and have read your post and It's plan to see you don't know cow sH-t from wild honey about cattle and now your an energy expert. HaHa Thats why I don't read your cattle post most are loaded with bad advice.
You are a search and paste expert. You are the one spouting off about an endless supply of raw materials. Are you dumb enough to think the Germans and French are not trying to come with more effiecent energy sources. Come on Preston show off some more, any one that can tramp around Europe for two months is not being bothered by fuel prices. Go blow your smoke .First off Exxon etc is in the energy business like all the the other oil companies. Are you not bright enough to realize that they are spending millions to come up with viable alternate fuels. Why spend billions to produce energy if you can do it cheaper and sell the product for a profit and have less costly EPA regulations.
The reason you had cheap energy for so many was mainly due to a man Eugene Houdry.

Nuff Said

I have always heard that we have weapons that have never been used or seen. The phrase is, "if the general American population has seen it, it's obsolete." I still think we have the means and the power to protect ourselves if we weren't so politically correct. "I want my country back!" We should all be tired of giving away more than we keep to provide for our selves. I don't care if it's Mexican,French,German,Arabic, whatever it may be, we are going to have to take care of ourselves weather this one or that one likes it or not. Yeah, speak softly and carry a big stick, and swing the damn thing once and a while.

ctlbaron":1j957imr said:
I have always heard that we have weapons that have never been used or seen. The phrase is, "if the general American population has seen it, it's obsolete." I still think we have the means and the power to protect ourselves if we weren't so politically correct. "I want my country back!" We should all be tired of giving away more than we keep to provide for our selves. I don't care if it's Mexican,French,German,Arabic, whatever it may be, we are going to have to take care of ourselves weather this one or that one likes it or not. Yeah, speak softly and carry a big stick, and swing the damn thing once and a while.

This is just not an easy fix, if tomorrow we could come up with a fuel that reduced dependency on foreign crude for gasoline and diesel you have now opened another can of worms. During the process of making gasolines you aslo make paraxylene which goes into plactics as well as styrene, you would have less propane and natural gas as a lot is produced in the refining process also. So you now have ran the price of gasoline down, but have raised home heating electical generation cost even more dramatically .It is not just about gasoline our world is built on crude today from medicine, clothing,heating, electical,to fuel for our automobiles. And don't forget the hugh tax hike coming at you as the national average is 40 cents a gallon, government is going to recoup that from somewhere.The is no bright and shining star in the near future other than conservation. The refining processes of today are old technology from the 30's and 40's. which convert roughly 90% of the barrel of crude to gasoline, before that is was about 25%. The rest of the barrel is residual fuels butane, propane, natural gas and hydrogen. Energy companies are spending millions to come up with an alternative fuels, they are not in the oil business but money business. If Exxon could make more money and energy from cotton they would tear down their refineries tomorrow.They are in the business to make money with the least capital employed .

ALBANY, N.Y. - Farmers, businesses and state officials — including many in Nebraska — are investing millions of dollars in ethanol and biofuel plants as renewable energy sources, but a new study says the alternative fuels burn more energy than they produce.

Supporters of ethanol and other biofuels contend they burn cleaner than fossil fuels, reduce U.S. dependence on oil and give farmers another market to sell their produce.

But researchers at Cornell University and the University of California-Berkeley say it takes 29 percent more fossil energy to turn corn into ethanol than the amount of fuel the process produces. For switch grass, a warm weather perennial grass found in the Great Plains and eastern North America United States, it takes 45 percent more energy and for wood, 57 percent.

Story continues below ↓

It takes 27 percent more energy to turn soybeans into biodiesel fuel and more than double the energy produced is needed to do the same to sunflower plants, the study found.

"Ethanol production in the United States does not benefit the nation's energy security, its agriculture, the economy, or the environment," according to the study by Cornell's David Pimentel and Berkeley's Tad Patzek. They conclude the country would be better off investing in solar, wind and hydrogen energy.

The researchers included such factors as the energy used in producing the crop, costs that were not used in other studies that supported ethanol production, said Pimentel.

The study also omitted $3 billion in state and federal government subsidies that go toward ethanol production in the United States each year, payments that mask the true costs, Pimentel said.

Ethanol is an additive blended with gasoline to reduce auto emissions and increase gas' octane levels. Its use has grown rapidly since 2004, when the federal government banned the use of the additive MTBE to enhance the cleaner burning of fuel. About 3.6 billion gallons of ethanol were produced last year in the United States, according to the Renewable Fuels Association, an ethanol trade group.

This year, Nebraska's 11 ethanol plants are expected to produce more than 500 million gallons of ethanol.

The ethanol industry claims that using 8 billion gallons of ethanol a year will allow refiners to use 2 billion fewer barrels of oil. The oil industry disputes that, saying the ethanol mandate would have negligible impact on oil imports.

Ethanol producers dispute Pimentel and Patzek's findings, saying the data is outdated and doesn't take into account profits that offset costs.

Michael Brower, director of community and government relations at SUNY's College of Environmental Science and Forestry, points to reports by the Energy and Agriculture departments that have shown the ethanol produced delivers at least 60 percent more energy the amount used in production. The college has worked extensively on producing ethanol from hardwood trees.

Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine with few or no modifications. It is often blended with petroleum diesel to reduce the propensity to gel in cold weather.

Latest posts