fuel consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
I have a friend who manages a fleet of 500 tractor trailer trucks. His drivers log 1,250,000 miles per week. He said since the emissions restriction which went in effect a year or two ago his fuel consumption average has went from 7mpg to 5.5. I wonder why fuel is so high??? Spread that across the nation and I am sure it would be a contributing factor.

My other half was an owner operator when we met and a few years when we first got married. Ran local most of the time WV to Detroit pulling a coal bucket in the winter, east to west with a pot in the summer. Now granted, his 475 cummings wasn't running stock but the price of fuel caused him to sell the rig. Like Ollie mentioned, his miles per gallon just about turned into gallons oer mile. Unless driving for someone else, an owner operator almost needs to be a rich man to start with.

Brother in Law owns a small fleet. It's a good thing his wife has a good job...
He was complaining the just the other day that after fuel, tires and taking care of the drivers he just barely made enough to maintence the rigs that week.

I work in research and development for a major truck and
engine company. We are certified to meet 2007 emissions and
are working already on the next standard which will become
law in 2010. With the 2010 standards alot of the air coming out
of the engine will be cleaner than what went in. EPA regulations
are getting just a tad bit rediculous!

Toby

Wait until they design a converter to reduce methane emmissions on cattle....could be a opportunity for a killing in the market place for the guy who fits one to his cows....mighn't be a good retirement project, I'll start R&D tomorrow! dave Mc

My mechanic had an old Willis Jeep. It ran on gas of course. When he cleaned out an old gas tank he would put the trashy gas in his Jeep. He was proud of the fact that it would run on anything. Several times he ran it on a diesel/gas mixture or when he ran out if he had some diesel in the jeep he would put a gallon of it in the jeep and would make it home. He ran out once and didn't have any diesel but he had a gallon of Thompsons water sealer so he put that in. $20 per gallon but he said it ran good. :lol:

Latest posts