Fuel and spring sales

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Will the high price of fuel affect the attendance at the spring sales? Not the weekly salebarn taype the production bull/cow types.

I don't think it will affect attendance too much. You'll always have a couple of buyers and a whole lotta watchers. I do think though, that on average, prices will be way down; because you have to cut costs somewhere. Thankfully I let my bulls grow out till 2 years so I don't have to push them with golden grain to meet buyers requirements for yearlings, keeps my input costs into the animal down and allows me to swallow a lower price if I have to come sale time.

The reson I was wondering is a friend of mine was planning on attenting a sale in KS amd has decided to pass because of the cost of fuel. But he had a long drive to get to the sale, in the neighborhood of 1000 miles.

A farm up from us has a annual sale, went last year for the first time. This year they sold off all the spring calving cows and went to fall calving. This sale was packed with peopl and several bidders on the phone, I was really suprised with the crowd on a weekday.

If he is a watcher he may consider a plane ticket. Last summer we went to visit some famliy for a long weekend and it was cheaper to fly.

3fifty7":b1monvxa said:
If he is a watcher he may consider a plane ticket. Last summer we went to visit some famliy for a long weekend and it was cheaper to fly.

He's more of a greyhound sort of guy

if the sales are good.an have top quality cattle.the buyers will be there no matter the fuel prices.i go to 2 sales a year.but they are in the town i do business in.an if im looking at cattle in some other sales.i know friends thats going.so they can pick the cattle up i want.if i decide to bid on them.

i think that it will have an impact on attendance. maybe not so much attendance of the serious buyers, but attendance of the tire kickers. even those tire kickers buy something sometimes. i hope that it stops some of the bums that always show up at every sale within 200 miles for the free meal and free drinks. the ones who never buy anything because they're still using a bull that they raised from "a pretty good cow and the neighbors good black bull". those deadbeats that never intend on buying anything but eat 3 plates of barbecue and drink 9 beers are the ones who irk me.

irked":1i2txell said:
i think that it will have an impact on attendance. maybe not so much attendance of the serious buyers, but attendance of the tire kickers. even those tire kickers buy something sometimes. i hope that it stops some of the bums that always show up at every sale within 200 miles for the free meal and free drinks. the ones who never buy anything because they're still using a bull that they raised from "a pretty good cow and the neighbors good black bull". those deadbeats that never intend on buying anything but eat 3 plates of barbecue and drink 9 beers are the ones who irk me.

I can see where that would be aggravating. Would it be a good idea to charge a little something up front for the meal? Anyone who buys then gets their money back. Might keep some of the riff raff away.

dun":1nh6vu9j said:
3fifty7":1nh6vu9j said:

That's just because I'm scared sh!tless of planes. If I didn't buy that herf bull off of a friend a month or so ago I'd still be heading West.

cfpinz":1o6j97l1 said:
dun":1o6j97l1 said:
3fifty7":1o6j97l1 said:

That's just because I'm scared sh!tless of planes. If I didn't buy that herf bull off of a friend a month or so ago I'd still be heading West.

I thought maybe they wouldn;t let you on with you're walmart bags as luggage.

I plan on attending some close by bull sales. I've decided to drop the high price I will pay.

dun":3r9jcrj3 said:
I thought maybe they wouldn;t let you on with you're walmart bags as luggage.

Don't know about the Dollar General bags but I bet they'd raise an eyebrow at our Rubbermaid tote! It don't cost much more to go first class...

b472f7e0.jpg

I bet it will impact the sales. The first one of the spring will be here the first part of April.. will be interesting to see. They have a big breeder from Wisconsin that hauls a bunch of females down to sell.. that will be cutting into their bottom line for sure.

There's a sale in Kentucky I wouldn't mind going to this spring, but with diesel really close to $4.00 a gallon, I'm going to have to think it through. Especially if I don't buy anything!

Latest posts