Frustrating Day

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I went out to feed the nurse cow her supplemental grain when I noticed my Mothers Irish Belmont heifer was in standing heat. She is earmarked to be AI'd to a Miniature Jersey bull. The vet was keeping the straw of semen just for this time. My parents are in Myrtle Beach right now so I spent 45 minutes getting all the heifers up and sorting out Ms. Shorty. After slogging through almost knee deep mud and manure in the sorting pen I get her isolated. Then loaded and off to the vet. I had called and got a 1:30 appointment. Pull up and go in to tell them I'm there. When I got back out the truck wouldn't start. Had to have someone jump start me so I could pull around and unload. I unload Ms. Shorty and get her ready to go through the squeeze chute when the vet tells me that she had accidently used the last remaining straw of the Miniature Jersey semen on a dairy farmers Jersey cow by mistake. One straw of this stuff is $100.00. So I had to load up the heifer and return her back to the pasture. :frowns:

Now some dairy farmer is going to have an itty bitty little jersey calf. Vet says that she will reimburse the 100 bucks and AI for free when the new semen arrives. Now AI is on hold for a while longer.

I told her she needs to tell the dairy farmer to look for a little calf from one of his cows.

You sure are nice Hoss. Have any other vets around there?

By the way, my corral was real muddy also until I took my front end loader and scooped it out. I piled it very high and let it cure for about a year. Then I spread it over my future garden after disking the soil. Looks good and rich to me.

if that happened to me id prolly blown my stack pretty good.ive had heifers get bred to a bull that i was going to AI.

That does sound frustrating. At least the vet didn't just breed her to anything in his tank and told you the truth. I still would have been really mad though.

Friends of ours bought some Red Angus embryo and put them in some of their Red Angus cows. Every one of them stuck and every calf was jet black. To put it mildly they're a bit miffed.

Hoss.. that was an extremely frustrating day wasnt it? Shows alot about your character, because I would have not been as nice about it probably. But, accidents do happen, its just a shame when it happens to you.

I didn't have the heart to chew her out. She is a good vet but young. She lost her husband recently in a car wreck and she has two little twin girls. Her husband was also a vet so she has took over running the business so she has allot on her mind. I am sure under the same circumstances I might make a few mistakes. I mostly use her as a horse doctor but she is known to be a pretty successfull AI tech also. For my regular cattle work I use an old curmudgeon vet. He's rough, gruff and smokes like a fiend and he has no "bedside manner" so to speak, with his patients. Aside from that he knows cattle and is cheaper.

Well that stinks! Not only do you lose out on your money for the semen (well I guess you don't since she's reimbursing you), but you have to feed that cow for another 21 days with no production :( Hope it all works out

bigbull338":1c8fogxm said:
if that happened to me id prolly blown my stack pretty good.ive had heifers get bred to a bull that i was going to AI.

That happened to me last year with a Holstein, I was just heading out to lock her up and when I got up to where she was the balancer beef bull was on top of her..Miffed doesn't even come close to how po'd I was as the bugger was 1/2 mile away in an other pasture when she was in standing heat 12 hours earlier.. :mad: . I bought a taller gate so they can't jump over now.

Yeah... but look at all the fun we're having.

Could have been a short, fat, balding, middle aged vet that you took her to....... :lol:

Jogeephus":8oh4po5v said:
HOSS":8oh4po5v said:
I didn't have the heart to chew her out. She is a good vet but young (and good looking to boot). :mrgreen:

Just a guess.

Nah.....when I'm really ticked looks don't soften me up any but her husband being killed and her having the twin baby girls will get me every time. I guess I am a sucker for that stuff :???:

Red Bull Breeder":jvvtgy4x said:
Now Hoss i reckon that was a kinda rotten day. But when that dairy farmer finds out he is getting a mini Jersey he is gonna be upset.

I guess telling him that the semen costs 100.00 per straw won't console him any either :D

He will get the most expensive Jersey calf in these parts but it will be worthless to him :cowboy:

I can see it now, in two years someone is going to be posting questions about a dairy calf that just won't grow. I guess this just goes to show you yet another reason why I use a customized AI system. ;-)

Jogeephus said:
I can see it now, in two years someone is going to be posting questions about a dairy calf that just won't grow. quote]

Now thats funny... but probably true. :lol2:

Latest posts