Fruits of labor

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
We spent a good portion of the day in the garden. Most things are coming in and while I know it probably doesn't make financial sense to grow your own - it sure seems to have its advantages. Before we picked the first bean, we fired up Wilbur and tossed some ribs on the racks cause we knew we were going to work up big appetite.

Here is the vegetable sales team who set a new record today. Afterall, how could anyone not buy veggies from these two?

tealbug.jpg

This is a portion of what we cooked on Wilbur today. Cooked too much so we made several unsuspecting neighbors happy.

IMG_3570.jpg

This, I guess, is the fruits of our labor. With the exception of the ribs, everything on the plate is homegrown.

gardengoodies.jpg

A hidden perk, we learned again that the world is round cause one of the ladies we let have free roam of the garden dropped this cheesecake by the house. I think she was afraid we were eating too healthy. ;-)

IMG_3573.jpg

Corn, shucked and ready to go-- What more could you want. I've already eaten so much today, those picture make my belly ache, but sure looks good.

I was bad today, had a piece of pecan pie and a piece of raisin pie. :secret:

I assure you it was. I didn't eat all day and I'm probably going to the bad place due my glutonous frenzy at the table. My stomache said to stop but I just couldn't before I had a slice or two of the cheesecake. :nod:

dang jo im on the way...how far are ya from white plains... some o fmy buddys went there for a truk pull this weekend

wish we could grow like that here..man thats good

Hey Jo, that comes under the heading of "cruel and unusual punishment" :D to us folks up north!

Fresh sweet corn from the garden??? Ours is barely poking up our of the ground!

Looks good!

Jim

Darn, that looks good. We had the ribs last night (they were home grown) and a choc Cherry cake with cream cheese icing (I made it), but no fresh garden produce. Almost makes me wanna cry, my garden is a looong ways from that stage :frowns: .

And its never gonna get there with this lovely weather. The garden is mostly up, but we haven't had temps higher than about 45 F here for the last 5 days. Heck they keep giving us frost warnings every night although thankfully they have been wrong about that so far.

A dinner like that one makes you forget all those hot and sweaty days out there plantin' and weedin' the garden.
If it doesn't stop raining for a while and warm up - we'll never have anything in the garden this summer. We haven't even mowed the first bale of hay. I look for it to turn hot and dry in August.

OK, I don't have two baskets full yet, but we have these buttered up and ready to put on the grill in a couple hours.

0035.JPG

No ribs to go with them. :( Going to have chicken and hamburgers with grilled yellow and zucchini squash. Brownies and ice cream for desert. :D Cousins are bringing some cheese grits, trimmings for the hamburgers and chicken, chips, Shiner Bach and Ziegenbach. 8)

Going to let them pick some peas and corn if they want some. :nod:

Catch up with ya'll tomorrow.

It still amazes me that ya'll northerners still have cool weather. We are just about to turn on the afterburners cause come Wed or Thurs the sauna will be own full time. I'm really looking forward to this. :cry2: I hope to get everything picked and put up before it gets too hot and the gnats come out. Ain't nothing in the world like gnats in your face while shucking corn.

Diesel, I'm a 150 miles south of White Plains. About an hour north of the Florida line.

Vette, that's some good looking corn. What variety is it?

We are going to hit the garden early in the morning and then go to the canning plant and see how much corn we can put up. I got high hopes on this but we'll see how it goes tommorrow.

1982vett":1kohhz47 said:
Funk's G Hybrid

Going to get after what the cousins left today too.

We just put up 3 gallons of cream corn. I'm about tired. Gotta go back again and help the Lil Boss Lady gather up more to fill her orders. I got more beans than I know what to do with. Can't sell or give enough of them away to make a dent in them. Its amazing how few people there are that will pick stuff from a garden. Peas are starting to bloom so these will be the next venture. I really hope to fill the freezer before it gets too hot then I can just turn the cows in on the garden and let them side dress my rows. ;-)

Comes all at once doesn't it. Mine will mostly be over in the next few days. But as far as folks not wanting to pick fresh vege's from a garden, I imagine most don't really know how to deal with them. But they also fall in the catagory I can put myself into. It is a lot easier to harvest those vegetables out of the freezer section of the grocery store. Shame to be that way. I'll even confess, about the only reason I planted what I did was becuase of you all talking about planting gardens in the spring. Thought about letting my spot grow up in grass but decided about the time I did I might need to depend on that piece of ground to be able to eat one of these days. :shock:

Must have pulled about 140 ears of corn (from 2 rows) and 4 buckets (5 gal. per row) of peas this morning. Figure the cousins got about 2 buckets of peas and about 3 of corn yesterday.

Got 70 nice ears for July 4 church picnic. "Paid" the machine shop owner (my neighbor) 10 ears of the best corn and 1/2 bucket of peas for straighting out my hay forks and welding a chisel shank for me earlier in the year. :secret: Then gave 3 widow women each a half bucket of peas, 5 ears of corn, some peppers, tomatoes and squash. Got 3 quarts of corn off the cob with the rest of the corn.

Got about 1/4 bucket of peas left to shell. Feel like I've been working cattle all day. :p Need to see to the other 2 rows of corn tomorrow.

Do your schools have canning plants? We have a really good ag department that runs a canning plant during the summer months. They have big steam blanchers, atmospheric cookers, shellers, and a big canning machine. Rather than messing up the kitchen we went there yesterday. Cleanup was really easy. I hope take full use of this when the peas come in to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Cucumbers. I have them everywhere. I send about two dozed in with Steve to work today. I have squash coming soon. Onions are taken up. It won't be time for maters here for a while yet. My beans and peas just didn't make. It's the ugliest garden I've ever seen. Maybe I can hold out for a better harvest in the fall.

Jogeephus":14twwyew said:
Do your schools have canning plants? We have a really good ag department that runs a canning plant during the summer months. They have big steam blanchers, atmospheric cookers, shellers, and a big canning machine. Rather than messing up the kitchen we went there yesterday. Cleanup was really easy. I hope take full use of this when the peas come in to get it over with as quickly as possible.
Not that I am aware of for public use. They probably do have the latest, state of the art, biggest and best that money can buy, locked up behind steel doors with windows to be seen and not used.

Lammie":14twwyew said:
Cucumbers. I have them everywhere. I send about two dozed in with Steve to work today. I have squash coming soon. Onions are taken up. It won't be time for maters here for a while yet. My beans and peas just didn't make. It's the ugliest garden I've ever seen. Maybe I can hold out for a better harvest in the fall.

You must have gotten to much rain. :p

Really, I think this spring was a little cool at night for a lot of things. And if you had winds like we did, I'm suprised anything made it thru the "sandblasting". One thing I have noticed is the lack of (not complaining) insect damage. My corn has very little earworm damage, very few weevil, just beginning to see a few stinkbugs in the peas.

I'm hunger just looking at the pictures. My garden is poking along like molasses in January this year; we hada late freeze in April that got my first batch of beans, squash and 'maters and then a string of cool nights on into late May. I've got a ton of green tomatoes, squash & bean blooms;hopefully, everything won't burn up in the heat before it makes.

Latest posts