Fruit Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone buy fruit trees from home improvement stores? What is the best place to order fruit trees and grapevines from?

I do. Main thing with these stores is to study up on what makes a good tree. Check the graft area and be sure its smooth and healed properly. Check the main branching and be sure it has a good base structure. Each chain has a different set of quality standards that they look for. Some are more ticky than others and will reject the load if it doesn't meet these standards. Believe me, each nursery knows what each is looking for. As for getting plants true to name. This is a problem anywhere you buy plants.

Thank you all for your imput. I had bought some fruit trees from out of a catalog and man those trees grew big but didnt produce like they said they would.

If they bloom profusely but don't set fruit then it sounds more like a pollination problem. If blooms are sporadic, it could be the root stock like HS says. Its been a long time since I worked with grafts but if I recall correctly you have several types. Xtra dwarf, dwarf, semi-dwarf and standard. The more dwarf the tree the earlier it will bear. Standards will sometimes take over 5-8 years to bear. Most fruit trees you buy are going to be either standard or semi-dwarf.

Your problem could be corrected as simply planting a pollinator next to the trees or just with time but I'd lean toward the pollinator.

If the pollinator thought sounds reasonable in your situation, here is a suggestion. When the tree begins to bloom, go to a nursery and find another tree (not same variety) which would serve as a pollinator that is showing some blooms at the same time and get it as a pollinator.

Jogeephus":2puvcky1 said:
If they bloom profusely but don't set fruit then it sounds more like a pollination problem. If blooms are sporadic, it could be the root stock like HS says. Its been a long time since I worked with grafts but if I recall correctly you have several types. Xtra dwarf, dwarf, semi-dwarf and standard. The more dwarf the tree the earlier it will bear. Standards will sometimes take over 5-8 years to bear. Most fruit trees you buy are going to be either standard or semi-dwarf.

Your problem could be corrected as simply planting a pollinator next to the trees or just with time but I'd lean toward the pollinator.

If the pollinator thought sounds reasonable in your situation, here is a suggestion. When the tree begins to bloom, go to a nursery and find another tree (not same variety) which would serve as a pollinator that is showing some blooms at the same time and get it as a pollinator.
Very good point I havent seen that many bee's around my area the last 4 years its crazy...

One thing to note is often big stores have varieties that aren't recommended for you area. Make sure the fruit tree is a variety that will work in your part of the country.

Fred":2edreg12 said:
One thing to note is often big stores have varieties that aren't recommended for you area. Make sure the fruit tree is a variety that will work in your part of the country.
Yeah, that and they're never what they say they are.

Latest posts