Frugal or cheap

Help Support CattleToday:

Any where I see old pallets laying around I ask if they are throwing them away. If so I get them and stack hay on them. After they rot, I burn them in a barrel in the winter while working around the barn on cold mornings.

Flaboy,

Use to do pallets. Quit because they were to much work. Hauling, rot,disposal. We went to tractor tires about 4 years ago. Ford 4000 size. We put them along inside the edge of woods so we don't have to look at them when the hay is gone. Works great. Watch for snakes though...for some reason they love the arrangement....mice most likely.

Just make sure to drill a couple holes in the down side for water drainage. No bottom loss of hay and they last a long time.

Caustic Burno":3nwrwfae said:
Beef11":3nwrwfae said:
I am really bad when it comes to snagging pennies. I once hauled a truckload of unsmashed cans and bottles to my inlaws place in Oregon to get the 5 cent price instead of the by the pound crap here. Got $185 though. I keep fish in my stock tanks all summer then sell them to the pet store in the fall. I want to figure out a way to convert my dryer vent to usable heat. I leave them oven door open after i cook to capture the heat. I always pick up pennies. When buying gas i go $.03 over the dollar and use the pennies at the register. I cut coupons. My next house will have a wood burning stove so that i can convert my junk mail into heat. My pets have to earn their keep. I consider the dog a heating asset. I stockpile for future use (everything). I yardsail religously. I buy my tires used and dicker. I am planning a trip to mexico to buy cattle drugs at a discount. I figure my vehicle costs by month and per mile. I don't care what they look like.
I hope this doesn't make me a crazy person. My buddies believe it does.

No it doesn't sound bad as I am as tight as a crab's ass and thats waterproof.
Very commendable.

Beef11":o0ylxzm4 said:
I want to figure out a way to convert my dryer vent to usable heat.
they used to sell a cheap vent that filtered the dryer heat - but I've always taken off the hose - plugged up the hole to the outside - and just put an old pair of nylons on the hose to act as a filter - why pay for heat that goes outside and pay to run the humidifier?????

Ryder":383znfo6 said:
Caustic Burno":383znfo6 said:
Beef11":383znfo6 said:
I am really bad when it comes to snagging pennies. I once hauled a truckload of unsmashed cans and bottles to my inlaws place in Oregon to get the 5 cent price instead of the by the pound crap here. Got $185 though. I keep fish in my stock tanks all summer then sell them to the pet store in the fall. I want to figure out a way to convert my dryer vent to usable heat. I leave them oven door open after i cook to capture the heat. I always pick up pennies. When buying gas i go $.03 over the dollar and use the pennies at the register. I cut coupons. My next house will have a wood burning stove so that i can convert my junk mail into heat. My pets have to earn their keep. I consider the dog a heating asset. I stockpile for future use (everything). I yardsail religously. I buy my tires used and dicker. I am planning a trip to mexico to buy cattle drugs at a discount. I figure my vehicle costs by month and per mile. I don't care what they look like.
I hope this doesn't make me a crazy person. My buddies believe it does.

No it doesn't sound bad as I am as tight as a crab's ass and thats waterproof.
Very commendable.

Man ain't that the truth about tight, you and Caustic would make a pair tryin to argue over going somewhere and fighting over a gallon of gas, bet both of you would walk.

Man ain't that the truth about tight, you and Caustic would make a pair tryin to argue over going somewhere and fighting over a gallon of gas, bet both of you would walk.

Walk? Ride a horse. Horses are one of the only things that the more you use the more they are worth.

flaboy+":3o6kfdae said:
Any where I see old pallets laying around I ask if they are throwing them away. If so I get them and stack hay on them. After they rot, I burn them in a barrel in the winter while working around the barn on cold mornings.

Pallets can come in handy for lots of things, when I was a teen and bought my first show steer I used pallets to make a loafing shed for my calf. Dad has a trucking company so Pallets were easy to come by. 2 pallets end on end and another set beside them make a 4 pallet square wall, Do three sides and throw some tin on top and had a shed at basically no cost. Get those good Oak pallets and once everything is tied together good it is pretty sturdy wired it to a couple fence post and it lasted.

Latest posts