fructose syrup as cattle feed

Help Support CattleToday:

momanto

Reaction score
WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN SEVERAL TONS OF #62 HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP FOR THE MOVING OF IT [30 MILES TO OUR LAND].

IS IT AN ACCEPTABLE FOOD FOR CATTLE? IN WHAT QUANTITIES OR MIX AND HOW MUCH?

WE HAVE SUFFICIENT PASTURE, FREE CHOICE MINERAL, AND MINERAL BLOCKS. WE HAVE TO BUY HARD MOLASSES BLOCKS AS A SUPPLEMENT. THIS WOULD SAVE US A LOT. BUT DONT WANT ANY DOWNSIDES.

THANK YOU,

MOM

I think it would be difficult for them to eat the syrup. And it wouldnt offer them anything other than empty calories. Would you feed that a horse or any other livestock? No.

Could you imagine a bunch of cows hyped up on all that sugar?

Isn't that the main ingredient in soda? I think this a question for an animal nutritionist but personally I don't think I would use it. I'm always a little worried about feeding non-traditional things although we have fed bakery waste at times.

SINCE IT IS A VERY THINK SYRUP, WHAT WE ARE GOING TO TRY IS TO FILL UP ONE OF THE EMPTY MOLASSES POTS, WHICH HOLD 250 # AND PLACE ONE IN A 42 ACRE PASTURE THAT HAS ABOUT 9 COWS, 2 CALVES AND 1 BULL. IS IS NEAR THE HOUSE, SO I CAN EASILY CHECK ON HOW FAST IT IS BEING USED.

ANYONE HEARD OF MIXING IT WITH WATER AND APPLYING IT AS A FERTILIZER?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT,

MOM

Fertilizer? I think you would just be making a very nasty sticky mess, but im sure all the bugs would love you. I cant even imagine the wild hogs if you did that around here.

The MOLASSES is there just to get the cattle to lick it.
I would use it in a compost pile.The microbes would love it.
Or it may work mixing with feed that is not already sweetened.

A friend with a feed lot used to feed a lot of "byproducts".. and years ago we got a bunch of corn syrup. Our idea was to inject it into some less than ideal quality round bales to get the cows to eat it. Needless to say, it turned out to be WAY more trouble than it was worth. As mentioned, it was virutally a sticky MESS. We ended up burying most of it.

I don't know if free choice is a good idea... but I"m going to guess that they'll waste a lot of it.

I once got paid to haul away 20 ton of pure sugar. Well almost pure sugar it was contaminated with dirt from changing out a bin-vent.
I feed it to the cows with no problem except for the bees.
It seems bees like sugar.
Visualize this. 20 ton of sugar in one big pile with an inch or two of bees covering it for about 6 months.
You could pick them up by the shovel full.:lol:
SL

SURE HOPE THEY CAN PUT THE TANK FOR THIS HOUSE PASTURE WITHIN REACH OF A GARDEN HOSE, SO I CAN TIDY IT DOWN.

TOMORROW AFTERNOON THEY ARE BRINGING THE TANKS OUT. THE 16,000 LB. HERE AT THE HOUSE, AND THE 4000 LB. AT A PASTURE DOWN THE ROAD WE OWN.

IT SHOULD BE INTERESTING. THANKS FOR Y'ALLS REPLIES.
GOTTA GET SOME BUCKETS WITH HOLES PUNCHED N THE BOTTOM HANGING FROM SOME WOODSY TREES WITH HFCS IN IT, TO ATTRACT THOSE WILD HOGS......!

MOM

Latest posts