frsh the movie? whaddya yall think bout this

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess i would want to wait and see the entire movie. Trailers like this can be deceiving. There were some super critical statements made in the trailer as well as some lousy pictures if they were out of context as in most trailers for movies they may be explained further in the movie. As in every endeavor there are advantages and disadvantages so I would like to see the entire thing before seriously critiquing it.

Looks interesting. I think that if we could get more people interested in growing their own food, to the extent that they can, and learning about where food comes from, it would help everyone get back to a more basic way of living. No matter where you are or how much or little land you have, it feels good to serve up the things you grow, whether it is veggies, eggs, your own beef... It is a really good feeling to look at a meal and say, "We grew that." And it is so much better for anyone's health to eat fresh instead of processed foods.

The only way to combat ignorance about where food comes from is to grow some for yourself. And it isn't that difficult. It just takes effort and time for the most part.

Sorry DB I misunderstood what you meant. I am in favor of more people growing their own food and if they can't at least buying it local and eating fresh or preserving their own food. I think CSA gardens are a good source of local food and an alternative source of income for the producer. I think a lot of people would learn real quick that blemish free produce is really hard to grow and that weather and pests really can effect the end product.

dieselbeef":2smexbdh said:
i was saying bout the concept mostly not the movie more the idea of it..

I think it is naive to think we can discard all the progress made in modern agriculture and replace this with organic gardening. There are simply too many mouths to feed. I do think there will be a growing niche market created mostly by fear mongering people like this who are in it solely for the money. I think many people may think it quaint to drink milk straight from a cow (assuming they are intelligent enough to know this is where it comes from) but I'm sure anyone who has drunk bad milk will attest to the fact that we pasteurize and process milk for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against organic gardening and if you want to pay $1.00 per egg just cause its got chicken $hit on it that's fine with me, but just because you choose to do this doesn't give you the right to accuse others who produce large quantities of food of poisoning people or the environment. I counted 12 people and if I'm not mistaken didn't the fella say they were farming 3 acres? I'm sorry but 3 acres is barely a hill of beans when you look at the scope of the demand for food. Around here, one man will plant this many acres in less than an hours time. Modern agriculture puts fresh foods at your fingertips 365 days a year. I seriously doubt organic agriculture can, or will ever be able to say this. These folks should be thankful for what the farmers and ranchers do and not knock them. But I guess it all goes back to the almighty dollar. Cause without critism and fear mongering, why on earth would someone pay $1.00 for an egg? Especially one with $hit on it! It just ain't right. It ain't natural. Oops, but I guess it is. ;-) :lol2:

yep..thats kinda how i feel. great concept but the fact alone that cities stack people in high rises makes it impossible that even a dent could be made by doin what they talk about.
but ive seen some great pics on here of gardens and we all eat our own meat so think of us as modern day pioneers....venturing to the forefront of self sustainability! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Well, I still think that it is a healthy thing to do, planting a garden, and that anyone that has enough room for a 10x10 plot should try. We are so unhealthy as a society, just getting out and working a garden would be better than sitting in the living room ordering a pizza.

I agree with that but if you follow the links from this site you will see they have an agenda that is anti-YOU & ME. There is nothing wrong with growing stuff organically and there is nothing wrong with growing stuff the way commercial growers do it. Are there problems? Yes. Wherever you have people you have problems even in the organic world.

I think the best example of this is what a professor friend told me about one of his students. She was a full fledged hippy and constantly disrupted his class with accusations about pesticides and the flaws of modern agriculture. She was brilliant. One night he received a phone call from her asking about her "organic" tomatoes. They were wilting for some reason. He id'ed the pest quickly and suggested either spraying a pesticide on it or picking the little critters off with her fingers. Next day he gave her an ounce of insecticide and her view of the world changed. She is now an ag professor. And she still is environmentally conscious but she does have a better understanding of why certain things are neccessary.

Jogeephus":1rmg6peb said:
she still is environmentally conscious but she does have a better understanding of why certain things are neccessary.

That's the key to the entire equation in my opinion. Ask any of the "old timers" if they want to go back to the "natural" way that happened when they were young and they will tell you be nice no!

Go back to having to have 12 kids in order to have enough labor?
Go back to the mule and plow?
Go back to the boll weavel?
Go back to no irrigation?
Go back to no means of pest control?

If the idealistic eggheads want to be so idealistic, then they need to not only quit using pesticides, they also need to quit using fossil fuels, electricity, farm animal labor, etc. They, they will starve...

My enviro-mental friend complains that Purdue (and by extension all the land grants) don't do organic research.
I informed her that Purdue had done tons of organic research and she said "well, get me some links".
"I can't get you links, because it was all done about 1900 and...."

Jogeephus":3pn6ctr4 said:
dieselbeef":3pn6ctr4 said:
i was saying bout the concept mostly not the movie more the idea of it..

I think it is naive to think we can discard all the progress made in modern agriculture and replace this with organic gardening. There are simply too many mouths to feed. I do think there will be a growing niche market created mostly by fear mongering people like this who are in it solely for the money. I think many people may think it quaint to drink milk straight from a cow (assuming they are intelligent enough to know this is where it comes from) but I'm sure anyone who has drunk bad milk will attest to the fact that we pasteurize and process milk for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against organic gardening and if you want to pay $1.00 per egg just cause its got chicken $hit on it that's fine with me, but just because you choose to do this doesn't give you the right to accuse others who produce large quantities of food of poisoning people or the environment. I counted 12 people and if I'm not mistaken didn't the fella say they were farming 3 acres? I'm sorry but 3 acres is barely a hill of beans when you look at the scope of the demand for food. Around here, one man will plant this many acres in less than an hours time. Modern agriculture puts fresh foods at your fingertips 365 days a year. I seriously doubt organic agriculture can, or will ever be able to say this. These folks should be thankful for what the farmers and ranchers do and not knock them. But I guess it all goes back to the almighty dollar. Cause without critism and fear mongering, why on earth would someone pay $1.00 for an egg? Especially one with $hit on it! It just ain't right. It ain't natural. Oops, but I guess it is. ;-) :lol2:

you said that better than i could. Home grown beans are good and I really prefer them to the canned beans but if my family is having beans year round makes a lot more since to buy them... Not enough land out there for everyone to have a little plot and grow stuff by hand. Though as a business sector, producers always need to look at ways to make their products more environmentally friendly. To be conservative for resources we will need later on to produce more and for the fact that environmentally friendlier products increase market value these days.

But like lammie said always nice to have a little home garden for the family to fool around in.

We will always need large-scale agriculture to feed the masses affordably, that's for sure. But I am all for the producer and the customer (don't like the term consumer) dealing directly with each other as much as possible, too. We started buying locker beef years before we ever raised any, and aside from the better quality, we liked knowing exactly where it came from. Overall, the vast majority of food processed by "corporate mega-agriculture" is acceptable quality and safe, but there still have been many incidents where contaminated food got out to the public. And the worst-case-scenario of animal handling is always going to be the video that makes it onto the national news, not the well-cared-for majority of livestock. People react to this, understandably, and want an alternative. Somebody will make a buck filling this niche, so why not the producer?