frozen tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What kinds of things can you do to freeze tomatoes? Whole, chopped, etc..? I got tons of tomatoes from the neighbor don't want to waste them, thought of putting them in my chopper, making a sauce and them freezing them, anybody ever do this?

Gail

GMN":31gwpn2r said:
What kinds of things can you do to freeze tomatoes? Whole, chopped, etc..? I got tons of tomatoes from the neighbor don't want to waste them, thought of putting them in my chopper, making a sauce and them freezing them, anybody ever do this?

Gail

Uh-oh - a guy giving advice on freezing tomatoes - but here goes

My Mom used to remove the skins (I do not remember how) and freeze them whole in plastic bags.

I always remember they were darned good when we ate them in the winter.

She is in her late 70's now and away (on a fishing trip!!!) with Dad - it is fly in only so there is no telecoms - gone for at least another week if memory serves me.

If I remember and you are still interested I can ask her.

Let me know - probably too late for you - but someone here must know how the skins come off.

They freeze well and taste great - good luck

Bez+

My mom does it just like yours Bez
I think the trick is to blanch them in boiling water then put them in ice water and then remove the skins

she does this alot of times when she doesn't have time to can them or make juice out of them and then later she will get them out of the freezer and can them or juice them
we also use them in sauces

you can cut a tiny X in the blossom end then place in boiling water for a moment. Remove and dunk in ice water, skin should slip right off.
I don't remove the peel,though. I just chop em, add a little salt, and cook down. Cool and place in freezer containers.

Angus Cowman":13y8awf6 said:
I think the trick is to blanch them in boiling water then put them in ice water and then remove the skins

she does this alot of times when she doesn't have time to can them or make juice out of them and then later she will get them out of the freezer and can them or juice them

I think I have heard of blanching, they are put in boiling water just for a few minutes then taken out and put in ice cold water, where the skins just fall off, then just put them in a freezer bag whole-sounds easier than what I was going to do.

Thanks

Gail

If you freeze them with the skins on (Just put them whole as they are in freezer bags), you can take them out when you are ready to use them and run them under hot water. The skin will slip right off under the hot water.

farmwriter":1p2hgh6e said:
you can cut a tiny X in the blossom end then place in boiling water for a moment. Remove and dunk in ice water, skin should slip right off.
I don't remove the peel,though. I just chop em, add a little salt, and cook down. Cool and place in freezer containers.

How long do you cook them for after you chop and add how much salt?

Gail

angie":ykapr8vp said:
If you freeze them with the skins on (Just put them whole as they are in freezer bags), you can take them out when you are ready to use them and run them under hot water. The skin will slip right off under the hot water.

Well that sounds very easy and quick, are they mushy when they are unthawed?

Gail

Just salt to taste is what I do, and I cook them very slow simmer for 25 - 30 minutes, which is probably overdoing it, but I don't want them too soupy. It's easy enough to add a little water when I thaw and use them if I need to.

Angus Cowman":fn0kt86l said:

I do this or as Angie does, freeze whole when you thaw rinse under very very hot water.

There are a billion things to do with tomatoes, and they are good for you too, especially men.. Enjoy ... :tiphat:

I have frozen some that were just skinned and frozen whole. When they were thawed out to use, some juice would separate and they just didn't look real appetizing. So I would throw them in the blender or food processor and pulverize them before using. They tasted great in chili, goulash, whatever.

That sounds like a neat trick to freeze with the skins on. I will try that. Thanks Angie.

Latest posts