frozen ears

Help Support CattleToday:

crazyportage":1qrj29y0 said:
Why is the 'penalty' for frozen ears so severe at the auction barn?

Because those "Ear" dog chewies are so expensive it cuts into the profit. :lol:

Same with selling one without the "Moo". They put those moos in kids toys and sell millions.

Frozen ears are a sign that it was very cold when a calf was born. (If you think you get hit for selling a short eared calf, try selling one with short ears and tail.)

Basically, the thinking is that if it was cold enough when the calf was born for it freeze it's extremities, then there is also a strong chance that it's lungs have been damaged by the cold.

Calves with lung damage don't tend to do as well as their healthier counterparts.

Cattle who have had lung damage due to cold don't always exhibit many obvious signs until they are starting to get closer to being finished...then sometimes you can hear them breathing from quite a few feet away from the animal.

Take care.

CattleAnnie is correct also on top of that they also worry about feet. Ears that got frostbite may be a sign that the feet also got frostbite and that can cause problems when they gain weight.

ALACOWMAN":2sk2houa said:
dun":2sk2houa said:
ALACOWMAN":2sk2houa said:
I know someone is gonna say it so k.m.a. in advance ;-)

Did you mean, "beacuse they can"

dun
Good post annie, what i was refering too dun was some comment about getting docked for too much ear. not one with not enough ;-)

I thought people froze their ears off so they wouldn;t get docked for "too much ear"

dun

dun":3qixzavz said:
ALACOWMAN":3qixzavz said:
dun":3qixzavz said:
ALACOWMAN":3qixzavz said:
I know someone is gonna say it so k.m.a. in advance ;-)

Did you mean, "beacuse they can"

dun
Good post annie, what i was refering too dun was some comment about getting docked for too much ear. not one with not enough ;-)

I thought people froze their ears off so they wouldn;t get docked for "too much ear"

dun
dont know about that but sounds like a he!! of a idea. my ex wife a vet. trims dog ears from time to time but i never let her try on my cows.

See that's what I don't get. I've been around cattle for about 15 years now and we always have some with frozen ears. Some we have kept for several years in our cow-calf operation. I have never seen them have breathing problems etc.

crazyportage":1f3vf3bw said:
See that's what I don't get. I've been around cattle for about 15 years now and we always have some with frozen ears. Some we have kept for several years in our cow-calf operation. I have never seen them have breathing problems etc.
well although you havent had a problem with them evidentialy the buyers have and thats why their docking them. they go on past experiances.not gonna take a chance if it will or won't

crazyportage":1z63ho9j said:

Depending on where you live, and up here in Canada, is a good example, it can get cold enough to freeze not only ears, but tails AND feet. We have kept lots of frozen eared calves for replacements, and have never had a problem.

I have, however, seen calves that have frozen their feet bad enough that their hooves literally fell off. Those ones don't make it to the feedlots, but there are lots that had a touch of frostbite, and their feet will either refreeze the following winter, or they will get so bad/sore that they cannot stand or walk. They certainly won't last until the calf is slaughter weight.

WE haven't had any that had frozen feet, or for that matter damage to their lungs. And, if we did they would go to market or be put down depending on circumstances, not end up in the cow herd.

Latest posts