Frozen calf question.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I had a bull calf born in Feb. it was around -20 and he was born at 11:eek:o pm. He was a big calf a little over 130lbs, and could not stand on his own for a while. He was given 7 pints of colostrum at birth and then when I checked on him at 2:30 am he still could not stand on his own so he was put in the hot box and given colostrum again of course.
Now I got him walking on his own the next morn so back out he went with his mom with a toque on. Now he still lost both tips of his ears and his testicles never came down ,I think they froze as well.
Yesterday out in pasture I was scratching his but because he likes it and had a quick feel to see if there was anything down yet ,but no nothing but the small empty sack hanging down.
So my question is should I have the vet cut him and remove the testicles ,or are they not going to be a problem because they never developed. I really couldn't feel them up inside either so maybe they never developed to begin with.

Just curious as I will know more when Dr. U checks him out further the next time he's out. Anyone have this before ?

If it were me, and if the vet will be out any how, I would have the vet check him in the chute and if necessary cut to be on the safe side. Nothing ruins a rep more in the cow/calf business than selling a steer and the buyer finding out it a bull. If you do not want the hassle then sell as a bull calf.
We have had problems getting the nut down recently but we have determined to genetics. At calving time we have noticed that the calves that get chilled or freeze are the hardest to band.

RR

rockridgecattle":2b4o10wu said:
If it were me, and if the vet will be out any how, I would have the vet check him in the chute and if necessary cut to be on the safe side.

I agree. While I have not experienced this with any of my calves, I have had a similar experience with this with a pony. Even though the pony retained/undescended the testicles he looked and acted studish. His testosterone levels were higher than a gelding's, but had low sperm count with limited motility. Needless to say he had his testicles surgically removed.

Katherine

Thanks RR and WonitF ,but I actually hadn't considered selling him .I think we will keep him and finish him off as a yearling ,they dock you for the littlest things and having the tips of his ears gone will give them even more of an excuse even though the little turkey has never even had a glitch of illness.

The whole thing is huge disappointment as I had high hopes for that calf, from the AI sire to the dam, but as soon as I saw the "little" :lol2:
huge calf I knew he would be a steer. I don't know about others, but everyone in this area had their birth weights increase by 5-10% last season in their cows,,,,even out of proven calving ease bulls.

I will tell you all what Dr. U finds when he gives him the once over..

Thanks again.

hillsdown":1rogvs5t said:
I actually hadn't considered selling him .I think we will keep him and finish him off as a yearling ,they dock you for the littlest things and having the tips of his ears gone will give them even more of an excuse

Sounds like thats a plan. Keep him for yourselves. I'm sure he'll make good eating.

Katherine

I know, here to they dock for any little thing...especially short ears.
Last year we experienced the larger than normal calf size in most of the calves. We figured it was do to the increase in feed during the last trimester. We all fed heavy in Jan/Feb due to the brutally cold temps here. I don't think brutal quite covered it though.

Extreme cold increases BW - regardless of whether you fed extra or not.

Even tho he has not "dropped" his testicles, they are probably up in the body cavity. He will still look & act like a bull, although his sperm should be very poor. Body heat will kill the sperm - "shouldn't" be able to settle anything - but there's always that minute chance - so treat as tho he is an intact bull.