Frost seeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have always frost seeded some clover in mid February, can a person do it too early in the month?

I ask that question every spring. According to our UK agent, the answer is no. I am told you can put seed down on top of snow as early as the first of February.

inyati13":3p6l1ktx said:
I ask that question every spring. According to our UK agent, the answer is no. I am told you can put seed down on top of snow as early as the first of February.
What if we don't get a snow?

skyhightree1":3p6l1ktx said:
Tom I will be starting to this upcoming weekend. I usually do it this time anyway and let the cows tromp it in .

Hard to let the cows do that on hay ground.

tom4018":z2v9ruw8 said:
inyati13":z2v9ruw8 said:
What if we don't get a snow?

skyhightree1":z2v9ruw8 said:
Tom I will be starting to this upcoming weekend. I usually do it this time anyway and let the cows tromp it in .

Hard to let the cows do that on hay ground.
While snow helps, mainly to see where it's been spread, as long as the grass is short and you get a little snow or rain to wash it to the ground it will work. The most important part is the freeze and thaw that opens cracks in the soil and allows the seed to get into the soil. If the grass is other then short it's pretty much hit or miss.

We have done it the first of feb for the last 3 years now with decent results. I am in norteast missouri. Infact we put on 250achers the last 2 days ahead of a big snow comming in. Just need it on soon enuffthat it can freeze and thaw several times to work the seed in. Our nrcs office says u frost seed dec 15th till march 15 bit around ere march is getting on the late side

herefordlover":2lvwcw09 said:
We have done it the first of feb for the last 3 years now with decent results. I am in norteast missouri. Infact we put on 250achers the last 2 days ahead of a big snow comming in. Just need it on soon enuffthat it can freeze and thaw several times to work the seed in. Our nrcs office says u frost seed dec 15th till march 15 bit around ere march is getting on the late side

That's the BEST mis-spelled word I've ever seen!

kenny thomas":25x93msk said:
Old timers always said to frost seed in the dark moon of February which is ?

Going to broadcast a little clover also. I may be way off but I thought the dark of the moon was the same as a new moon. Should be around the 18th.

I'm looking to frost seed a little red clover early next week myself. I've always heard anytime from Feb 1 to Mar 15. But it seems to me that the later you wait the better your results would be because the freezing thawing action that buries the seeds is more pronounced in March when the days get warmer. I think too many people get swept up in the frost part of frost seeding & forget about the thaw part.

I sewed some seed on top of the snow Thursday on a filled pond. It was a small area, so i thought I'd try it to see how it worked.