frost bite

Help Support CattleToday:

Big D

Reaction score
We have had our bulls in with the fall calving cows since Dec. and with the cold temps of a few weeks back our favorite bull has frost bite on his prepuce. We have treated with anitbiotics, The vet kept him for a week or better trying to keep him soaked and clean. However after everything done my vets opinion is he is through. He says if we circumsize him the scar tissue will keep closing in and render him usless. My question is has anyone had this problem or any ideas that would help keep this bull in service?
Thanks for your reply

if it's a viable option get him to a semen collector fast... if he's that good that is. Other than that... he's deemed useless...

That was a question I wanted to ask but left out. Which leads me to ask more. What is involved in the semen collection, storage and anything else I am leaving out??? It is not that this guy is worth $$$$ He just has the greatest disposition, he's young, big (2000 +) and throws just the right size calves, never have pulled one. And most of all my wonderful father N law picked him out. So I don't want to disappoint my good buddy.

He has a rather large sheath which doesn't help. From the research I've done some breeds have muscles to control the foreskin some breeds do not. With his large sheath and the activity he was seeing, well stuff happens. The temp at the time was single digits with teen's and 20's for a good week or more. There was a good amount of data I found on the subject so must not be totally uncommon.

I find this thread interesting only in that I live in Canada, I've worked in Saskatchewan and now Ontario and I've NEVER seen a frostbitten sheath. Then again, there's very little bos indicus blood here and people generally like bulls with a tight sheath. Common sense, I guess.

V

I can remember one other case just 1 mile up the road from us. It probably was 12-15 years ago, same vet too. If I remember correctly that bull was a char.,and not such a severe case. This bull is, in my opinion, half simental and half angus.

There was an article in either Drovers or Beef this month about the subject of frostbite

dun