Front Rotors on Ford Trucks.

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I have a 2002 F-250 and the front rotors are warped. My brother has had the rotors on his Lincoln Navigator replaced twice. He said the dealer told him that they put rotors made for Rangers on these big trucks and that they're under-engineered for the vehicle they are placed on. Anyone have a similar experience? If that's a sample of Ford's truck design, no wonder they are closing plants and laying people off.

Well being a Ford fan this may sound like I am defending them but here goes.

The Super Duty has some huge front brake rotors. These are not known for warpage. They are NOT ranger rotors and the Ranger rotors will not fit and would never stop that truck. The Super Duty rotor weighs more than twice that of the Ranger. Someone is just trying to bash the Ford. Some Ford cars have problem with warping rotors but it is usually the manufacturer fault. I know Ford recalled and replaced some on cars from a certain supplier.

Now on to your problem. The 2002 Super Duty has anti lock brakes on the rear. I suspect a rear brake problem in that they are not supplying enough braking. These trucks will do most of their braking (70%) on the front. It doesn't take much to make that 100% if the rears are not working. If you are stopping only on the front brakes, you can expect warpage.

I checked and there are no TSB's on rotors on the Super Duty only one for disk brake rattle which is common across all manufacturers.

I know of many Super Duty's with well over 150,000 miles running unturned original rotors on the front. I also know of few with over 100,000 miles that have the original pads on the front.

Do you pull a trailer without electric brakes by chance?

My 02 has 80,000 miles on it and the brake pads are still knee deep. No rotor problems either. This is my second 250 no brake problems on either one other than chaging the pads on the first one at 125,000.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":21f2izmz said:
Sounds to me like a person who trys to stop a heavy load to quickly and/or rides the brakes. Probably has hills pulling/stopping these loads also.
Naw, it's none of that. Yeah, we've got hills, but I haven't pulled a lot with the truck. It's got 86,000 on it and it's been maintained by the book. The service manager at the local Ford dealership I talked to today, said that the rotors on the big trucks weren't heavy duty enough from the factory. Anyway, I've got get it fixed. I prefer a truck that stops to one that doesn't!

My dad has an 02' Stroke and with 120k on the clock he couldnt take the vibration anymore. The pads were fine but the rotors up front were so warped. I think alot has to do with people at say Les Shwab, Tire Factory, etc over torqueing them, if not I dont know what because he hardly ever towed anything, just drove it.

J. T.":f0z0ogbh said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":f0z0ogbh said:
Sounds to me like a person who trys to stop a heavy load to quickly and/or rides the brakes. Probably has hills pulling/stopping these loads also.
Naw, it's none of that. Yeah, we've got hills, but I haven't pulled a lot with the truck. It's got 86,000 on it and it's been maintained by the book. The service manager at the local Ford dealership I talked to today, said that the rotors on the big trucks weren't heavy duty enough from the factory. Anyway, I've got get it fixed. I prefer a truck that stops to one that doesn't!

Your service manager is full of crap as a Christmas Turkey. Have you seen those things? Have you ever lifted one? I have only seen bigger ones on Mack trucks.

I have owned several Super Duty's and pulled many a heavy load and some without brakes on the trailer and NEVER warped those puppies. Get em good and hot and run through a river and they might warp.

Have you owned this since new? This is pretty funny, first case of warped rotors on a Super Duty I have ever heard of. Not saying it can't happen but something else is going on I think.

Any chance that service manager is telling you he will put "real heavy duty rotors" on it?

A lot of the rotor warping has to do with the way the wheel was installed. If the lug nuts are not tightened in the right pattern,to tighten the wheel evenly,it will warp and cause flat spots on the rotor.

Cal

flaboy-":gpnyx29g said:
J. T.":gpnyx29g said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":gpnyx29g said:

Your service manager is full of crap as a Christmas Turkey. Have you seen those things? Have you ever lifted one? I have only seen bigger ones on Mack trucks.

I have owned several Super Duty's and pulled many a heavy load and some without brakes on the trailer and NEVER warped those puppies. Get em good and hot and run through a river and they might warp.

Have you owned this since new? This is pretty funny, first case of warped rotors on a Super Duty I have ever heard of. Not saying it can't happen but something else is going on I think.

Any chance that service manager is telling you he will put "real heavy duty rotors" on it?
Bought the truck new in '02. Like I said it's been in for maintenance every 5000 miles. And, yeah, he mentioned heavy duty rotors. One dealer said he could put on a lighter Motorcraft rotor or a heavier Ford rotor. I thought Motorcraft and Ford were the same. :?: Truck has not hauled/towed heavy loads every day. Most loads have been 5000lbs. or less.

J.T. if it were me I would try another dealer. Number one he lied to you, number two if he told you he would put heavy duty ones in place of your existing ones, his is lying. JMHO

Motorcraft is a division of Ford,usually they make the cheaper new/recon parts. Ask for genuine FORD replacement parts. Never heard of a choice in light/heavy duty rotors before. Was with Ford for the last 12 years of my 35 year carrer in the auto business.

J.T i am a Ford fan but ......... go to any of your parts websites and look up rotors for your 250 and you'll see there is only 1 replacement. there may be different brands but 1 "size". and i think aroud 97 or 98 the brakes got beefed up. the 150's got the brakes of the 250's and so on. that might not be right but i believe it is. there is no way you have light duty rotor on a hd or sd truck. and you know lies to you about them being ranger rotors. when have you ever seen a ranger with 8 lugs? your warping problem can stem from alot of things theres a few good examples in this thread, but you can rest a sure that its not because its weak.

Like flaboy says all front disc rear drum vehicles do the majority of the stopping with the front brake try adjusting the rear up as tight as possible over time if the rear adjuster stick they do all there stopping on the front.

Went to another dealer and had the rotors turned and new brake pads put on. Truck drives like it did when it was new. Thanks for all the input.

J. T.":1iee1daa said:
Went to another dealer and had the rotors turned and new brake pads put on. Truck drives like it did when it was new. Thanks for all the input.

Did ya have them check the rears to make sure they are working?

4 wheel disc brakes are standard equipment on all Ford Super Duty's from 1999 and up.

No adjusting is needed in the back end. Could be his proportioning valve is not working right but odds are its just one of those things.

Your original dealer was giving you a line of bs.

Latest posts