Front End Loaders

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm about to purchase a new tractor in the 55-65hp range with a loader. I'm hearing from some cattlemen and salesman that 4wd is needed with tractors this size when equipped with loaders, because of a heavier front axle and the incresed traction. Can anyone out there offer an opinion on this subject? I will be mostly using the loader to stack hay.

It's true you would have better traction with four wheel drive but I'll gaurantee that there are far more two wheel drive tractors with loaders on them than 4x4's. If 4 wheel drive isn't needed in any other parts of your operation then I don't think the few benefits of it would offset the greater costs of buying it. You will also have more moving mechanical parts to wear and more upkeep to a four wheel drive versus 2 wheel drive. What kind of price difference are we talking here? Of course the salesman will push the higher priced one if he receives any comission off the sale. My suggestion would be to have them bring one of each out for you to try and see what you prefer. J.M.O.

4wd adds about $3000-$4000 depending on the brand (Deere, New Holland, Kubota)

Lots of mud, snow or loose sand you need 4wd. For normal conditions all you need is 2wd although the front wheel assist can be handy when plowing or running a large field cultivator or disk.

dun

I think newer 55 to 60 HP tractors are much lighter than they were a few years ago.
With a heavy load on the front end you would be stuck about half the time.
That is why 4 wheel drive is more important now on smaller tractors.
Also because of the lighter weights, when you have a heavy load on behind, the 4 wheel drive helps turn the tractor in light front end situations.

Hillbilly[/u]

hillbilly":2afkafvc said:
I think newer 55 to 60 HP tractors are much lighter than they were a few years ago.
With a heavy load on the front end you would be stuck about half the time.
That is why 4 wheel drive is more important now on smaller tractors.
Also because of the lighter weights, when you have a heavy load on behind, the 4 wheel drive helps turn the tractor in light front end situations.

Hillbilly[/u]

The key is fluid filled rear tires. Also, if you happen to find a real good price on a tractor without power steering, run don;t walk away from it. With a loader, armstrong steering may work for the young, but by the time you get older, probably 25 or older, it will kill you

dun

Thanks for the comments, I've found a Deere dealer who leases out 4wd tractors to peach farmers and sells them as rental units with a $2000-$3000 discount. Some even have a warranty depending on the number of hours.

Latest posts