Front End Loader on Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I know there is lots of variables, but generally speaking is it really best to get a tractor with a front end loader on it already?

How hard are they to find if you buy a tractor with out one and how universal are then on the different Tractors?

Say on some of the popular JD, MF, Ford, IH, Case tractors in 60 to 100 hp range.

You can make almost any loader fit any tractor. Trying to find a used loader for a specific tractor in decent condition is pretty tough unless you get the used tractor with it.

dun

I prefer to buy tractors without the loader and add the one I want later. That way you get the loader you want and the front end usually ain't wore out on the tractor when you buy it. Usually a little cheaper to buy it already put together but the tractor has most likely seen a lot more abuse.

cfpinz

Apl...,

It comes down to new vs used in dollars. As long as it is in good shape and hasn't been abused it will work with less money invested.

We are looking for a loader for our 8600 Ford w/cab if you see one.

The farmhand unit on our 4600 is great but, we need heavier duty and more power.

Around the house we use the front in loader for everything, from inside a chicken house, to pushing brush, driving metal T post and even getting on top of barns. I have used everything from JD, Ford, HI, and Case, Kubota, and McCormick tractors. I have also used Great Bend and Bushhog front end loaders. I personally like the JD the loader the best because it is a lot smoother for doing ticky jobs

If you are looking for a tractor without a loader and to add one later look for a 4wd. There is no comparision to a 2wd and a 4wd with a loader.
I would be totally lost with out a front in loader.

I'm with cfpinz on this one. If I'm buying a used tractor, I usually look for one thats never had a loader on it. Better chance of the clutch, trans and front end being in better condition. Don't buy an off beat brand or model, and you shouldn't have any problem finding a loader to mount. Even so, you can buy mounting kits from the manufacturer of the loader (again, as long as you really don't go offbeat on the tractor).

Rod

DSC..,

I have heard that type of comment before and have never understood the concern.

Why should one be unusually concerned about a used tractor with a loader on it at time of purchase?

Also, I am finding out that re-configuration from one tractor to another is a challenge and a lot of work. I just found a Model 870 Great Bend off of a Ford 70 series(8670)and analysis suggested to fit it to the Ford 8600 would be a prohibitive challenge. I was surprised.

Still looking.

preston39":2b1hero4 said:
I have heard that type of comment before and have never understood the concern.

Why should one be unusually concerned about a used tractor with a loader on it at time of purchase?

Front end loader work is unusually abusive to the front axles, front drive (on MFWD tractors), transmission, steering and clutches. Its not unusual for a straight field tractor to amass several thousand hours with hardly any wear on those parts, but for a loader tractor, several thousand hours is nearing (or over) the useful lifetime on those parts, and you'll be looking at replacement. This is especially true when it comes to people who feed heavy hardcore bales. No tractor, other than a Bi-directional, is designed with loader work in mind.

So unless I know that a loader tractor has been used very gently, or has minimal hours on it, I won't generally touch it.

Rod

preston39":qo6zsya2 said:
DSC..,

Also, I am finding out that re-configuration from one tractor to another is a challenge and a lot of work. I just found a Model 870 Great Bend off of a Ford 70 series(8670)and analysis suggested to fit it to the Ford 8600 would be a prohibitive challenge. I was surprised.

Still looking.

Brackets are brackets are brackets. Chances are they won't interchange, you can either modify them yourself if you're able or buy new ones from the factory. The hydraulics are negligible, worst case you have to buy a new valve and some hoses.

I bought a 7710 w/o a loader a few years back and searched the surrounding states for a used loader for 6 months. Every decent one I found would have gotten me to within a $1000 of a new one once I added a quick-tach for the bucket and cab valve. I broke down and bought a new one, do not regret it one bit.

Sorry if this disappoints you dun, but it didn't come from ebay.

cfpinz

cfp...,

What brand did you get?

The used Great Bend in the previous post is priced at $5900.

They are not cheap. I would expect to pay $7,500.+ for a new one.

preston39":3dcalo0o said:
cfp...,

What brand did you get?

The used Great Bend in the previous post is priced at $5900.

They are not cheap. I would expect to pay $7,500.+ for a new one.

Bought a Bush Hog 2846. Main reason was a friend sells them and let me have it at cost. Has been a couple years ago but it ran me either $4500 or $4800, the latter seems correct. That was with a hd bucket, bale spear and cable control valves for the cab, me picking it up palletized and putting the whole thing together, a joy in itself. The joystick assembly is cheap made, loader is adequate but not as heavy as the Quike or Alo or whatever they're called. I've dug a couple graves in our clay with it and haven't hurt it, tractor is 4wd. The 2846 would be marginal for your tractor, would be ok for stacking hay but I'd want something a little heavier for digging. I like the looks/feel of those alo's but they sure are proud of them.

cfpinz

Just looked through BH's website, a 3226 would be my choice for your tractor.

Latest posts