Front end loader cylinder

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Started leaking hydraulic fluid (pouring really) yesterday while clearing privet bushes and some small trees and dead poplars. SEAL looks busted up for sure. I guess I'll take it off and into the deere place since I don't have time to fool around. ANYBODY worked on one or know how much to expect it to cost? Probably worth the money to pay the pros?

Beefy":1s3r89b8 said:
Started leaking hydraulic fluid (pouring really) yesterday while clearing privet bushes and some small trees and dead poplars. SEAL looks busted up for sure. I guess I'll take it off and into the deere place since I don't have time to fool around. ANYBODY worked on one or know how much to expect it to cost? Probably worth the money to pay the pros?

Do a search for a hydraulic cylinder repair in your area. Most will reseal the cylinder for less that the Kit at John Deere.Had a power steering cylinder repaired this summer for the Valtra. Seals on both ends. $98. Seal kit from AGCO would have been about $185.

Looks like a new one is around 150 so probably 300 at jd

Beefy":2alqbda0 said:

Just leave the cylinder hooked to the loader frame and pull the piston out and reseal it. The kit consists of a couple of O-Rings and seals. It takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish, if it's a John Deere loader.
I think the price of the rebuild kit was $35.00. and that was $30.00 to much.

If you decide to do it yourself, take some pictures when you get the ram out of the cylinder. Then you will have a visual of the seals and 0-rings when you put it back together.

You could remove the cyl. and take it apart then take the ram and tube to the local hyd. shop. They will have the parts (or get them quickly), assemble and hand it to you to install back on tractor. Will save you some money and know it's ready to work.

MudHog":2eubl8fz said:
Aaron":2eubl8fz said:
Beefy":2eubl8fz said:

Sounds about right. :D

And that is without green paint. If they do any touchup paint, add another $300 just for green paint.

Easy now, the kit to rebuild a FORD cylinder is $58.00 I just did one awhile back. I feel Ford - New Holland OEM parts are far higher than John Deere parts.

the cylinder needs tobe rebuilt.will cost $200 or more depending on the cost of the kit.

True Grit Farms":30d4lt4v said:
Easy now, the kit to rebuild a FORD cylinder is $58.00 I just did one awhile back. I feel Ford - New Holland OEM parts are far higher than John Deere parts.

I hear you. That is with everything. Some brands charge more for the initial product and less for the parts, others charge less for the initial product and more for the parts. I see that with outboard motors. Honda is a pricey outboard, but their parts are most times cheaper. :tiphat:

I can rebuild a cylinder faster than I can drive to town and drop it off, do it yourself. Worst part is getting the rod wiper end unfastened, depending on design. Post pictures if you need help.

A lot of OEM parts are just rebranded aftermarket seals, if you can cross reference the part #'s and order the generics they're usually less than half of the dealer price.

Beefy":n3ee6t28 said:
It'll take me all day to get the snap ring back on. :drink:
That's the catch. Some of them require pretty specific tools to be able to properly work on them. In those cases I prefer to let the guy with the tools and knowledge/skills do the work.

I've got a Deere 540 loader. Leaking lift cylinder. Packing kit was $100 at dealership. Local repair said they would furnish parts for $50 or parts and labor for $100. I haven't had time to take it off because we've been using it constantly moving hay.

Latest posts