From Dairy to Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

PothastFarms

Reaction score
My family has milked approximately 30-40 cows for roughly 30 years, we recently sold all our milk cows, and selling the bred heifers. With this being said, we are starting with dairy steers. I however was looking to expand to some beef cows to lower costs of milk replacer and things of that nature. We are located in Northwest, Ohio where winters are cold (low point roughly -5 and relatively hot summers max of 105) So we were wandering about some different breeds, and how they interact with other animals. I have an eye for the more exotic, with this being said I would like, in some form, get a heifer from some of the following breeds (Texas Longhorn, Santa Gertrudis, Hereford, Pinzgauer, Brahman, Charolais, and Shorthorns. Also wanted to possibly get a Watusi heifer potentially. While many of the animals would be pets (TL & Watusi) I was wandering if there is a good market for the seedstock animals. Also which animals make the best beef feeders. My local fair is a relatively high spending area for local steer calves in the quality if high enough. We have approximately 8-10 acres of pasture, also grain and hay are produced on our own land, so price for corn and hay isn't a big deal. Also conrete floors besides the pasture and possibly effect on the animals. Also big barn, capable of housing 40 animals in the coldest months.
So i would like to hear some feedback on
---Out of the above listed breeds which are the easiest to handle/hardest
--- What (in you experience) have produced the best beef feeders
---Mixing dairy steers with beef steers and if it makes a difference

May want to check into Piedmontese as well. There are breeders in Ohio that I am sure would welcome you to come take a look and ask questions....

Milk Replacer cost = $22.50 per cwt. [higher than the premium grade A milk price]
A penny saved is a penny earned.

Since you're short on pasture and still have the dairy equipment, when you sell a springing heifer...
Why not take part of the money and buy an older dairy cow or 2 instead of buying milk replacer?
Late lactation bred dairy cows cost little more than slaughter price. You get a calf as pay back, milk the cow 11-12 months, send her to slaughter and repeat. 1 dairy cow provides more than enough milk to bottle feed and wean a dozen calves per year.
When we got rid of the milk replacer and switched to cow's milk, we got rid of most all of the scour problems too.

Latest posts